Questions about haman Turkish bath etiquette in Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many articles on turkish bath (haman) - what to do, where they are in Istanbul etc. but I still have some silly questions which I hope someone familar with haman can answer:

1) does one tip if you go for a massage in the haman? and how much is reasonable?

2) there are some "scary" description of how the massage person almost peel all your skins off and beat you to a pulp. I have a bad back and so I assume that it is OK to ask them to go easy? or to skip my face cause I do not want people to rub my eyes?

3) I don't want the really fancy ones for tourists. Any recommendations on the haman where locals go?

4) How much time should I set aside for a visit? 1 hour? 2 hours?

5) any special things I should watch out for?

Thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM

I have only been in Morocco, but the masseuse should not beat you to a pulp, nor should they peel all of your skin off. However, you will be shocked at how incredibly dirty you are. The first time I went the woman literally sloughed off black film that I did not know was there. I was so embarassed that I asked the girl next to me (who spoke French) to tell my masseuse (who spoke only Arabic) that I had no idea I was that dirty. She did, and the masseuse responded with something that made the whole room laugh. I asked what she had said, and the girl translated: "all you Europeans are always this dirty." Humbling, to say the least.

I think that setting aside 2-3 hours for the experience would be wise, unless you want to end up rushing what should be a really relaxing experience.

Claire
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM

I've been to a few Hamams around Turkey and they all tend to have a different feel.

One was in my hotel in Istanbul (Eresin), and actually I think I enjoyed this masseur the most. He did perform some pretzel-like moves on me, but stopped before it became painful. If you communicate the problems with your back, I am sure your masseur will take this into consideration.

I also visited a more touristy Hammam in Istanbul, Cagaloglu www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/

It's pronounced 'Jayalolou' (correct me if I'm wrong Propertravel).

In most places my masseur/masseuse made a point of seeking me out at the end to say 'goodbye'. I generally tip between 10 and 20%. In the hotel I mentioned the guy was really busy and I had to find him. I had a bit of a wait for my turn to be scrubbed because he was so busy.

For the ladies: I was a little shocked the first time, to find that the hammam was mixed. I am female. I asked for a female but they said there was none available, and I now understand why.

During one of my visits to the hammam at another hotel I went with a female friend. Once again, only a male masseur was available. Since I actually ended up enjoying my last experience, I thought it would be okay. I was unashamedly groped by this man. So I've returned to my original rule of using only female masseurs.

Back to the original poster; I don't know how willing I'd e to go to less touristy places, as I am rather used to 'Western' standards of hygeine, and was not too enthusiastic about my glimpses of a couple of other places.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM

Just wanted to add: I keep my bathing suit on in mixed company.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Femi: hygiene standards in Turkey are normally MUCH higher than in "Western" countries - just read laclaires post about Morocco, and you'll know how "hygienic" you're living as opposed to Turkish or other oriental people.
Hygiene, thus, won't be the major problem when visiting less touristy hamams in Istanbul - the major problem will be to tell them about your back!!, as they normally have no clue of English off the beaten (tourist) track in Turkey. German, other than English, is rather widespread, so if you speak some German, this might help more. Otherwise, you might ask at your hotel to write down the sentence about your back problem in Turkish. But don't miss the experience, it's great, and I absolutely agree, it's preferable to avoid the touristy hamams.
Re: tips, Femi's 10 to 20 percent are definitely not enough for a Turkish hamam - the masseurs have almost NO fixed income on behalf of the hamam they're working for: they have to make their living from the tips alone, and so, 40 percent is the minimum if you have been content. Which is not so much, on the other hand, provided that you go for the "local" hamams where the entrance fees are sooo modest!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM

Hi Franco,
I enjoy going to spas quite a bit, and the atmosphere is big part of the experience for me.
I expect a hammam to be humid of course, but would rather not go in to one which smells distinctly moldy.
I also like to see that they are well maintained and not worn down. I will not go past rotting wooden entry ways.
I guess I just maintained the same tipping scale I use in the US...
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

May be I'm wrong, but I look at hamami like Cemberlitas and Caguloglu as more catering to tourists. Besides much higher prices, I am also afraid that these places are turning into "spas" (I remember one of their websites are now selling skincare/beauty products!!!).

I am looking for a real hamam experience and chance to meet the locals.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM

Claire brings up a point I've been curious about. Bathing in East Asia means that one does not merely soap up and rinse off, but scrubing oneself to the point of producing these little dirty rolls of dead skin particles. In Korean it's called "deh", Japanese "aka" or something like that. It's not something that just "comes off" with merely soap, you have to scrub yourself -- is this what the masseuse was referring to? I assume white Americans don't do this when they bathe and that's why there's no word for the dead skin particles in English? Or I just don't know the word?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

fishee:

"...no word for the dead skin particles in English.."?

I thought they are called "ex-spouse"!
The term fits too ... just joking.