City of Lucca Italy

Search

City of Lucca Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City of Lucca Italy

My sister and I are planning a trip to Lucca Italy. Has any one stayed in the walled city? Any special sights we should not miss?! We are trying to rent a private apt. They appear to be fairly cheap..$500/week. Is this truly possible ? We do not speak Italian. Is this going to be a major problem? The city appears to have easy access to buses and trains.This would make travel to other cities easier without renting a car. THIS IS OUR FIRST TRIP TO ITALY! ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, dlpiano
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Just wondering why Lucca? If it's your first trip to Italy and all...
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

I chose Lucca because my family came from bagni di lucca and I felt that would be too far away from transportation to other areas. I live in a small town and am always very busy. I wanted my vacation to be just that- a quiet relaxing vacation. Just to get the feel of Italy but not necessarily have to experience it all!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM

dlpiano....I think you will like Lucca, especially with your family roots there..it will be a gentle introduction to Italy..we have been several times and like it more with each visit....not many tourists, relatively quiet, no motor scooters or cars in the walled part...everyone rides bicycles!! There is very nice shopping and good food...and after all, Puccini was born here!!...Two recommendations....we love Buca di SanAntonio for a wonderful meal, and be sure to visit the gardens of the Palazzo Pfanner...small, but so pretty..

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:11 AM

Sites: You can take a fine walk/bicycle ride around the top of the wall. There are some lovely churches to visit. It is a quick trip to Pisa.

Apt: Lucca is a quiet town so I'm not really surprised that apts might be cheap.

Language: You will probably find english speakers in all the shops. Italians tend to write down bill amounts rather than say them, since lots of tourists from everywhere don't speak Italian.

It would help to know a few phrases, like ``due gelato per favore,'' and ``per favore dove toilette?' but you should be fine.

Travel: sure, take the public transporation. Read in your guidebook how the ticket system works, and you're good to go.

You'll have a great time.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:03 AM
ira

Hi D,

>I wanted ... a quiet relaxing vacation. Just to get the feel of Italy...<

I think that you have picked the right place.

>We do not speak Italian. Is this going to be a major problem? <

No.

You might find this thread helpful.

Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:06 AM

dlpiano,
My trip report will give you some ideas.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34494897
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed Lucca during April 2005, despite awful weather. We stayed at an apartment about 200 metres from the city walls. I would recommend it - it was modern and clean. It cost in the region of €300 for the week.

I found the site on the www.homelidays.com website, but they have their own website at www.residenzailborgo.com (currently under construction, but the owner does speak, and answer Emails in English)