Question on train travel

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Jane Carideo

Question on train travel

My daughter is planning on spending her honeymoon this September in Positano. She will fly Boston/London/Rome. Our question is...Is there express rail service from the Fuimicino airport to the Amalfi Coast? If so, which train station is closest to Positano? If not, is there a fast train from Fuimicino airport to the Termini in Rome where the connection can be made? Help Please!!! Even a website that would give us this info (in English) would be great!!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Tony

<BR>There is no railway at Positano itself. As far as I can make out the journey goes something like this. <BR>Train from Rome Airport to Rome Termini, trains are every 20-30 minutes. <BR>Train from Rome to Naples, trains run at least once per hour, some of them require a reservation, probably best <BR> done before leaving, but not essential. Journey time is just under 2 hours. <BR>Train from Naples to Castellammare. There are direct trains every hour, journey time 40 minutes. There are additional trains requiring l change. <BR>From Castellammare, I don't know for sure but would expect a regular bus service to Positano,about 10 miles. <BR>The best web site to check trains is www.bahn.hafas.de It is a German site, but has an English language facility.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:43 AM
TONY

Thank you Tony for your prompt reply to my question in Fodor's Forum. Perhaps you could advise my daughter if flying Boston/London/ and then Alitalia to Naples airport would be a better idea.It would cut down on train travel and the hotel in Positano may have a courtesy limo pickup at Naples airport?? Do you have knowledge if this is possible?? Thanks again, Jane

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Walter

Jane: Although BA is my favorite (which I assume is the airline they plan on using?). I have flown Alitalia twice Boston-Rome and their food/drink service is terrible. But I've found that their 767-300ER planes have great legroom, a big plus for me. I assume that they are still using this plane even though they now only fly to Milan from Boston. If I was doing this trip I would fly Alitalia Boston-Milan (6:30pm-7days/week), then after a 1hr layover take the Alitilia Milan-Naples flight (Airbus A321 it's a jet A/C) which takes 1:20min. Then doing what a poster on this site did, use a car service (driver meets the flight) from the airport to Positano for ~$100US. www.starnet.it/car-service/ (do a search or post about this service). The hassle of a 2+hr layover in London, dragging the luggage to the Airport-Termini train, waiting in Termini, back on a train to Naples, then another train, and then a bus or taxi to their hotel. Their luggage on Alitalia would be checked thru right to Naples, on a BA to Alitalia I *assume* they would have to claim their luggage (London) and recheck-in at the Alitalia counter and what is their layover time at Heathrow? Just a thought. Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Tony

Jane.. <BR> <BR>Sorry I've no experience on hotel or other limo/bus service from Naples airport to Positano, but I'm sure other Fodorites will have some info. on this. <BR>If your daughter is not planning any overnight stopovers in London, then I think it probably does make sense to fly direct from London to Naples, or as Walter says, why call at London at all. Heathrow is one of the worst transfer airports of all, invariably involving bus transfers to other terminals, whereas Milan,Malpensa is fairly new and should be a good transfer point.I think Walter's suggestion makes sense.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Walter

Walter, Thanks for your prompt reply to my query about my daughter's honeymoon. Although I do also love B.A., my daughter and her new husband will be flying American Airlines nonstop either to London or Paris. I checked and B.A. doesn't have a flight to Naples. However Alitalia definately does although it does have a connection in Milan or Rome. This definately is a better solution to the problem of 3 or 4 train changes. I am going to check one more airline (Air France) out of Paris, perhaps they fly into Naples. Otherwise....I guess it will have to be Alitalia. Thanks again for your answer to my query. Ciao....Jane

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:31 PM
Tony

Jane.. <BR> <BR>While you are checking another airline, take a look at KLM also. They are a solid airline, without being spectacular,and they also have some joint agreements with Alitalia. Plus,Amsterdam is one of the best European airports for transfers and connections. If KLM or Alitalia fly direct Amsterdam to Naples, then this could be the one.