Question on taking the Tube from Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. We'll be in London in a couple of weeks and are looking at taking the tube from Heathrow. The closest station to our apartment is Gloucester Road, 5 mins walk from the apartment. From what we can see on the Transport London journey planner and also the tube map, this is one straight run on the Picadilly line.

My question is – how much of a hassle is it now to take the train from Heathrow (Terminal 5?). I’ve taken the tube some 15 yrs ago but this time am traveling with family (includes one 10yr old who loves traveling).
And how is Gloucester Road station itself? Are there any weird logistical issues we need to watch out for? We’re traveling pretty light with just one suitcase between 3 of us, and each of us has a small backpack.

For the cost and (potential) hassle, are we just better off taking a cab?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Yes, it is a straight shot from Heathrow to the Gloucester Road station. Gloucester Road is an easy station to navigate as they have elevators in lieu those mile long escalators. I just did the reverse trip on Sunday.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM

It's pretty straight forward for Gloucester road - i think this is one of the open-air and nearly street level stations with an easy out - since the line starts at heathrow you will surely find seats if the train gets crowded. Be sure to buy an Oyster Card to automatically get the best deal - especially if you will be taking tube and bus later on that day

with a family sometimes i would let one person go to the hotel first and leave the rest with the luggage - first person takes some first and comes back and helps others after they know exactly where they are going.

many will say a cab is the best for you and certainly the easiest - check out airport transfers that have been talked about at length here and most are very satisfied with - cheaper than on the spot cab i think but i don't know much about those - always take the Tube or Heathrow Express (which you do not want to take)
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Agree, it is very easy to get there from Heathrow.
Go to a manned TFL ticket window in Heathrow and describe to the agent how much you intend to use the tube during your stay. They'll sell you the apppropriate card for your needs.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
yk

Yes, as Weekender says, it's a direct ride from Heathrow T5 to Gloucester Rd tube station. There are elevators.

For cost:
if all of you get Oyster PAYG, the fare is £2.20 off-peak or £3.80 peak (before 9:30am or between 4-7pm M-F); or a flat rate cash fare of £4 at all times. These are adult fares. Since you have a 10 year old, he/she can travel for free with a paying-adult.

Cabs are expensive. I think car service is still about 25 pounds, so with 3 of you it's still significant savings via tube.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Here are some maps of the Gloucester Road area:

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/Dow...cesterRoad.pdf

The upper map shows the bus stops and lines, and the lower one has more street detail.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your speedy response.
I think we'll settle for the tube. With just one suitcase I think this should be do-able.

And yes, we'll be getting Oyster PAYG cards.

All in all, a significant savings over the 45 pounds or so we were quoted for a cab.

Thanks again.