Reload this Page >

Question on Opera in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 12:29 AM
opera

When attending opera performances in the States, there are always electronic subtitles on the back of the chair in front of you. Regardless of the language of the opera (German, Italian) the subtitles are in English. Does anyone know if the Italian operas performed in Italy have any English subtitles available? Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:05 AM
wendy

I did three cities last year and am attending three this April...unfortunately I've never seen translations!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:05 AM
christina

ciao opera <BR> <BR>no, maybe at la scala, but here in italy we are not so high tech like in the states. i saw this system the first time when i was at the met in ny. at the opera house in zurich (if i remember well) there you can find it. but on other places, no. <BR> <BR>i remember that i saw an opera from philip glass at the met and the text helpd me very good to follow the story. maybe you know, the sentence from the glass-operas could be very long and the words pull over a lot of "takte". <BR> <BR>tanti saluti <BR> <BR>christina

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:13 AM
Ray

I attended Don Giovanni in Naples at the San Carlo theater and there were no subtitles anywhere...which of course made it difficult to follow.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:05 AM
Opera

Wendy - I take it that you still found the performances enjoyable as you are going back for more. May I ask what are the cities in which you will attend the opera in April? That is also the month I am going.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:42 AM
wendy

Milan, Verona, and Turin. <BR>I'd like to try Pesaro, maybe next year.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:52 AM
wendy

Opera: <BR> <BR>When are you going? Have you decided on performances? <BR> <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Carmen

Since so many of us are traveling to Italy mid-April, let's all post the opera venues, titles and dates that are happening during that period?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:31 AM
janice

No subtitles, superscripts etc. at Opera Bastille in Paris. Still worth going, though, in a New York minute!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Joy

How expensive are Opera tickets, does anyone know? In your opinion, would it soething i should check into? (The Opera, that is.)

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Joy

Oops, sorry, SOMETHING.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 05:30 AM
wendy

I have the entire opera and music schedule for Italy 2001...but it is too long to post here. <BR> <BR>I would be happy to send a copy to you if you can e-mail me directly!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:20 AM
wendy

I saw Don Giovanni at La Scala and there weren't any subtitles, but the story was a familiar one so I found it easy to follow.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Paulo

None of the Opera's I attended in Italy had subtitles in any language. But I also don't remember a single one where it wasn't possible to buy a (cheap) libretto in English ... <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Helen Rennie

I'm with Paulo on this one. <BR>In Verona librettos are easily available outside the arena. <BR>But anyway, why bother with words when the music in the arena and the scenery of Verona are so breathtaking. <BR>Enjoy!