Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the must sees, must do's in and around Santa Margherita?

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:06 PM
julie

Just booked 6 nights at the Hotel Continental in Santa Margherita, Ligure. 4 teenage girls, 2 mothers. Any suggestions about the best things to see and do in the area, and the best restaurants to go to? Would like to do a little meaningful sightseeing, but also want to rest, shop and eat! Also, part 2 - what are the absolute must do sites in Genoa? Our last day in the are will be spent there. Part 3 - any feedback on the Hotel Continental in Santa Margherita? Thank you! It's our first trip to Italy! Julie

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Al

My wife and I are veteran hikers, and so we walked from SML to Portofino one morning along the coast road. Took about an hour, as I recall. Across the water we could see Rapallo. Perhaps some other Fodorites have comments about that town.

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:25 PM
russ i

Take the train south 20 minutes to any of the towns of the Cinque Terre: Monterosso, Vernazza (my favorite), Corniglia, Manarola, or Riomaggiore. They are all connected by trails which you can walk in 45 min to 1:30 each easiest between Riomaggiore and Manarola; hardest between Monterosso and Vernaza). You should also take a boat between a couple of them, as the view from the water is wonderful. Do a search for Cinque Terre on this site for more info. Have fun!

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Diane

I did not stay at the Continental, but walked through it and around the grounds. It looked lovely.

It's been several years, but our favorite restaurant of our trip was Da Baicin in SML. Not fancy, but nice.

On the weekend there was a flea market in the square. That was fun. Suggest you take the short boat ride to Portofino and take the bus back -- different perspectives. Take a short train ride to Camoglia.

This is not a place for museums or major sites. Give yourselves a chance to unwind after visiting the Cinque Terre.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:45 PM
K

Hi Julie, I have seen several recommendations for Hotel Continental on this site, because they had positive remarks I booked us there in the last part of April. What month are you going to be there?
Does anyone know how close Hotel Continental is to the train station? We want to take the train to see Cinque Terre. I had thought about driving and parking in Levanto??

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:48 PM
K

Hi Julie, I have seen several recommendations for Hotel Continental on this site, because they had positive remarks I booked us there in the last part of April. What month are you going to be there?
Does anyone know how close Hotel Continental is to the train station? We want to take the train to see Cinque Terre. I had thought about driving and parking in Levanto??

Mar 28th, 2001, 12:12 AM
Steve James

Hello Julie,

- Catch the boat to San Fruttuoso, and walk back to Portofino.

- Vist Camogli (- a short train ride).
This could also be combined with Genoa.

- Vist Pisa or Lucca (or you could combine the 2...)

Steve

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Gail

Hi K. -

We're staying at the Hotel Fasce in Santa Margherita April 19th - 23rd. We were in S.M. last year and saw the Hotel Continental from the water, but not sure how far it is from the train station. It's a very walkable town, though hilly, and very beautiful. The harbor is lovely and I second all the recommendations above for side trips. Camogli was such a treat, very picturesque with colorful small boats in their harbor. The whole area is a photographer's dream! But what in Italy isn't?!!!

Have a wonderful trip. Will we be there at the same time?

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Jeanette

About 2 weeks ago we walked from Rapallo to Portofino and back. This was really a hike and took us almost the enter day as we explored Portofino in a leisurely manner- and ate a marvelous lunch in Santa Margherita L. I will look through my receipts and try to find the name of the restaurant/ bar for you- it was on the side of SML that is near the road going to Portofino.

A word of caution as there are some spots on this trek that would not be recommended for a party your size unless you are very, very careful. There were some tunnel sided areas of road between Rapallo and SML that were dicey. You had to walk that white line exactly right and you better not be too wide either. The curves have mirrors on them and you can't see what is coming around the bend- if you are walking. But I am super glad we did it. It was our best day in Italy, although Cinque Terre was everything I'd read about it- I found this walk more within the context of the regular Italians. We meet some nice people and were slightly more off the tourist circuit. Altogether this was about 15 kilometers each way (or about 14 or 15 miles total walk)- I saw some park areas, gardens, churches, lodgings and general bars or gelatoria that I would never have gotten to as a regular "in town" tourist. Of course, you could take the bus and it is quite easy. They even have ticket sales in automatic vendor machines similiar to ATM's at the biggest station in SML.

Rapallo was great. It has great food shopping, as well as some terrific seafood restaurants. People who stayed at the same hotel as we did (Hotel Europa- the pink one)were raving about Miramare and went back there to eat twice, that I heard about. The number of babies with grandpas and grandmas (but especially grandpas) on the waterfront park walk each afteronoon was amazing. Lots of family life by the old fort in the harbor. This was open on Sunday afternoons, but we missed seeing the insides. You have your choice of many, many gelato places, bakeries, or restaurant/ bars in Rapallo. Heard a Mass in Italian on St. Joseph's day in the church right behind my hotel. Between train, church bells and traffic- I don't see how any of these towns can be described as quiet. I counted 2 different churches' bells each hour. Any who suffer from noise at night, might want to bring ear plugs to Italy.

While in MSL the bar we stopped into was very small. I asked in Italian/ English/ pantomine for an assortment of the day (all vegtables). IT WAS OUTSTANDING. The best eggplant I have ever had. Zuchini, roasted red peppers, risotto rice balls, etc. etc. WAY too much for 2 of us. Wine, beer, and fried little fishes were brought before the food. THEN she comes with a big plate of assorted pizzas for my big guy. A little while later she comes with a dish of St. Joseph's day little fried cakes (we used to call them spingies- when we were kids.) She called them puffy fishes, as they had that shape.
All of this was less than $20 in American dollars.

Cinque Terre was wonderful too and I got a very nice pesto lesson from a lady in Monterosso. With teenage girls, I would definitely take the train and spend at least 1 full day with a few hours exploring each little town. We had some terrific sea bass in Monterosso and it was not on the main strips but way off on it's own and far from the train station. I will try to look that name up also.

Hope this helps. We had more fun doing the garden walks and seeing the jet set places (EDEN ROC with a pool hanging over the Mediterranean)and stopping at each church, than doing the shopping or museum thing. We did see Hannibal's bridge while hiking out of Rapallo. It's more than 2000 years old, but most other older things in these areas of Italy are at the most 400 or 500 years old, as much of the earlier antiquities were lost in the War.

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Jeanette

That was a typo MSL, should be SML. And also both SML and Rapallo had terrific clothing stores. Red leather shoes are in. You can not believe how many red leather loafers we saw on school girls. I bet your teenagers will want to try on some of the slinky skirts or printed summer ensembles, too.

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Kay

Hi Gail, We are staying in SML the 24,25th of April. I was going to skip Cinque Terre but everyone raves about it so much that I hope we have time to see it. We could possible do it when we are in Tuscany, but we will be much closer to it while we are in SML.
Hope you have a great trip too.