Question for WWII experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in Ketryzn, Poland (formerly East Prussia) visiting Hitler's eastern Headquarters, called the Wolf's Lair, my taxi driver took me a little distance away down a rutted road. He showed me a white mansion behind a wrought iron fence and said that Eva Braun had lived there.

He spoke only a few words that I could understand, so I couldn't ask any questions. However, it seems logical to me that she would be near Hitler. He spent 400 days at the Wolf's Lair (Wolfschanze, in German), and I can't imagine that she would want to be separated from him for that long.

Does anyone know anything about her whereabouts during this time?
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 03:47 AM

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I shed my husband who is an expert on this time period but all he came up with was this.

http://www.dark-tourism.com/index.ph...szaniec-poland

There is a long page all about the Wolfschanze (Wolf's Lair) & how to visit it today; down near the bottom I see this paragraph:

"When staying in Gierloz, you can get to the Wolfschanze on foot. Near Gierloz and the Wolfschanze there's the beautiful little Ksiezycowy Dworek hotel, right by a picturesque lake and relatively good value (its restaurant in particular). The building also has associations with the Wolfschanze and the Nazi days: Eva Braun is said to have stayed here, whereas she'd never been to the actual Wolfschanze herself."

I personally think he used her as a prop, really not his girlfriend. I think he was gay, hated it and tried to be normal. There is a lot of history to back this up.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 03:49 AM

Why don't we have an edit button? I asked my husband. The last sentence was my opinion but my husband feels the same way.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 04:21 AM

You aren't the first to ask. I found this: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=148414

It doesn't help with your question though I'm afraid.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 04:23 AM

This tour mentions a mansion prepared for her but not lived in by her: http://www.militaryhistorytours.co.u...-wolfs-lair-2/

You have got me curious now Peg!
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There were a number of wolf's lairs dotted around the Reich so he could be based where he needed to be.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Oops! Hitler stayed there for 800 days.

Thanks for the responses. The article that I read in Wikipedia says that she never stayed at the Wolf's Lair. All your responses pretty much confirm that, and it's doubtful that she stayed at a nearby mansion. Still, it's hard for me to believe that she would stay away from him for that long.

I plan on returning next year on a day trip by van and train from Warsaw, with an English-speaking guide. Perhaps I'll get more information then.

As to his sexuality, I tend to think he was asexual. But I do recall reading something Eva wrote (in a diary) about his wanting her for "just one thing," which of course is girlspeak for sex.