Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for the Ladies: Are there manicurist shops in Sorrento Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Patty

I will be in Sorrento in the Spring, do any of you know of a manicurist there? I want to have acrylic nails and need to know if there is someone there to do a touch up. My friend says she has not seen a shop like here in the US. Any ideas?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Fingertip

topping tipping

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:29 PM
xxx

Patty: Unlike the US, which has a nail salon on every corner, they are few and far between in Italy. Noticed only one in Rome in my recent travels. Only noticed it because it was the only one there! Can't say for sure about Sorrento, but did not notice one in Siena, Florence or Venice, either.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Patty

That is interesting, xxx. What do other tourists do then? I could have my nails removed before the trip I suppose. A good idea for an entrepreneur isn't it?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Gail

Cancel your trip if your nails are so freakin important!!!!!!!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Patty

Now now Gail, don't get nasty, I am just asking a question. I like to look well groomed, some people don't and that is fine. <BR>My boyfriend likes my nails painted and nice looking, if he wants to take me to Italy, I can keep my nails nice for him.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:08 AM
xxx

Patty,<BR><BR>Nail shops are popping up here in Europe at almost every corner in cities. I'd say also in touristy areas. Some are parts of a hairdresser shop, beauty salons or are really small and in hidden places.<BR>I suggest, you ask the front desk staff of your hotel. They will or should probably know best about where and which one to choose, if there are several places.<BR>Or you might just ask an Italian girl with acrylic nails, where she goes. Acrylic nails are extremely popular here, too.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Patty

Thanks, xxx, I will ask at the desk or a friendly Italian girl with acrylic nails!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Alice Twain

Patty: Usually in italy manicurists work at hair salons, just look for hairdressers, peep in and ask if there is &quot;manicure&quot; (&quot;Scusi, fate la manicure?&quot;, if you can't pronounce it, write this phrase ona piece of paper and bring it along). In any case I must say that acrylic nails are not as common in Italy as they are in the Us, so that even a good manicurist may be not really comfortable with your acrilyc nails. We tend more towards the &quot;natural&quot; nail ^_^ Also check out &quot;profumerie&quot;, many make-up shops also have small beauty salons, check them out too, but the problem with artificial nails might persist.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Ben Haines

Google gave me nothing for Sorrento manicurist or nail salon, but under Sorrento beauty parlour gave me a list of hotels. They certainly cost more than an Italian working girl pays. If she pays at all. She may agree with me that a woman with working hands is nicer to see<BR>than one with coloured plastic glued on to show that she does not have to do much work. As you gather, I like your idea of removing the plastic (removing your mails would be painful indeed). <BR><BR>Club Sabbiadoro-Battipaglia in Sorrento<BR>www.allrez.com/static/ITALY/sorrento/ HOTEL-CLUB-SABBIADORO--BATTIPAGLIA.asp <BR><BR>Hotel Cerere-Pasestum in Sorrento <BR>www.allrez.com/static/ITALY/sorrento/ HOTEL-CERERE--PAESTUM.asp <BR><BR>Majestic Hotel, Sorrento <BR>http://www.italy-rome-hotel.com/hote...;countrycode=I <BR>also www.eitalyhotel.com/sorrento/majestic/<BR><BR>Grand Excelsior Vittoria-Gdn Hotel<BR>www.italy-rome-hotel.com/hotels/ hotel.php?hotelcode=SORRGRA1&amp;countrycode=I <BR>also www.eitalyhotel.com/sorrento/grandexc/ <BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Dori

I recently had my nails done in Florence. Just walk into a hair cutting/beauty salon and ask. A lot of them do nails. I'm sure you can find something in Sorrento.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Patty The Nailed One

Thanks again, all, you went to alot of trouble and I appreciate it. My nails are in the &quot;French&quot; style so not long and red, just shortish and natural/white. I will use your information for sure.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Tom Thumb

I'm with Ben, I like women with a little grime under their nails. It makes them look like they will dig in the garden for my nightly vegetables.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Ben Haines

I am not with Tom Thumb. Neat nails are not grimy nails, I dig out vegetables with a trowel, not my hands, and it is I who dig them, not an assistant.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Patty

I like you Ben, thanks for your advice.