Question for Elvira

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:02 AM
Lori

Question for Elvira

Hey Elvira, a while back you posted that your employer was granting you a sabbatical and you were going to realize your dream and rent an apartment in Paris and take cooking lessons. Just wondering, are you still doing this and how are the plans going?
And to all the people out there who are thinking that 'this is not a travel related question' too bad!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:12 AM
Lori

Another Lori is curious about the same thing ... and it's a travel related question as far as I'm concerned. Where is the apartment located and will you be going anyplace else besides Paris, Elvira?

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:44 AM
Janice

Yea, will you be in Paris over the holidays? I'll be there for Christmas, and I'd love to have dinner with you!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 01:40 PM
elvira

Here's the scoop - I have 6 weeks sabbatical. The first week is spent with the Loons on a self-drive cruiser on the Brenta Canal/Venice Lagoon - we already have lined up a good bailbondsman and made sure the beneficiaries are updated on our insurance policies.

The rest of the five weeks are spent in Paris - I've rented a lovely one-bedroom apartment in the 12th - a residential neighborhood with NO tourist attractions. So far, I've booked a cooking class (3 half-days) and trying to get into at least one more. I'd love to take an art class or two, have done web searches with no luck, but found out that the Louvre has classes!! So very cool.

A friend is competing in the Duathlon at Calais, so I'll watch her compete (then a trip to the D-Day beaches - she's never been).

I've got a 3" 3-ring binder crammed with all sorts of things to do - unlike my usual anal-retentive self, I'm not planning any itinerary, just going to do what strikes me. The things that I'd like to accomplish are exploring neighborhoods that I've overlooked and doing architectural tours (for example, tracking down all the le Corbusier buildings in and around Paris). Oh, yeah, and shop to my heart's content, no schedule, no time constraints.

And the all-important search for a sickly French duke, single, with no heirs and lots of money. If I'm successful, I will then be in Paris for Christmas and have dinner with you, Janice. If unsuccessful in my near-death-noble search, I will be forced to return to the U.S. in mid-October. Pray for me, y'all.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 10:46 AM
Susan

Coincidentally, the Globe and Mail (Canada's national newspaper) has an article today in the Travel section about renting an apartment while staying in Paris. The author, Jeremy Ferguson, frequently writes about travel in other countries. He loves to eat well and his descriptions of the food made me want to book my flight today! Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 10:50 AM
Robin

Sounds like heaven! I can't imagine a better way to see Paris! How do I get one of those sabbaticals? (The sickly duke thing is out-- my beloved would not be amused!)

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 12:30 PM
Lori

I sure hope you find that old, sickly, rich duke with no relatives!! A girl's gotta dream!

I'm jealous of your 6 weeks off - I'm thinking seriously of sneaking into your luggage (and I believe I only live about 100 miles from you so it's a possibility!!!). Then again, if you are only taking that one roll-on I probably won't fit You will need more then one roll-on for 6 weeks, won't you? (Me, I'd need a trunk!) The trip sounds utterly fantastic - you will have to find a way to post regular reports from Paris, this Forum will have a hard time going 6 weeks without you.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 04:35 PM
Lori

Oh, it sounds heavenly and now I'm sorry I asked because I am so jealous I could puke. I have told my husband time and time again that I want to retire to Paris, he laughs, I'm serious. Is your employer hiring and how do I get a job. Have a wonderful trip and we all want full reports.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Bob

What a wonderful thing to do. I took a half a year off several years back and travelled and studied. Businesses, etc. don't realize the benefits they get when their employees return from such travels. An interesting book on the topic for those thinking of such a trip is TIME OUT - HOW TO TAKE A YEAR (OR MORE OR LESS) OFF WITHOUT JEOPARDIZING YOUR JOB, YOUR FAMILY, OR YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. It is by Bonnie Miller Rubin, Publ. by W. W. Norton and Company. It covers just about everything you could imagine. For all of you out there thinking about doing this - go for it! You will never regret it.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 03:11 PM
x

Oh, Bob, that's a nice thought, but Americans are way too interested in acquiring shiny stuff to actually skip a few paychecks. I know someone who was severed and has decided to take off a while, maybe a year or two. People are acting like she announced she was going to set herself on fire. "No!" "Don't do it!" "You'll never recover!"

When will people learn that you can't take it with you?

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 06:25 AM
dan woodlief

Amen x.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Art

Hey Elvira baby, could you find me a rich countess while you are there?