Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about train tickets Madrid / Segovia

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Can you please advice on the train tickets. I am trying to purchase tickets on the REFNE website and there is AVE traines that cost 20.40E ( web price 8.60E) and AVANT trains regular price is 9E, and it takes only only 5 min longer. Do you know what is the difference? thanks a lot for your help
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM

We've recently taken both the AVANT and the AVE to/from Segovia. There's really no difference in speed (both trips actually took 30 min.) or in comfort. On the AVE train we were actually seated in a Talgo (tourist class) car, and coming back to Madrid recently on the AVANT our assigned car was a "preferente" (business) class AVE car with a 2-1 seat configuration, yet we paid the regular 9 euro fare. They seem to switch cars often on the several trains that run on this new high speed route.

So, choose the train that best suits your schedule.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM

Do both trains serve the same in town station that trains did before the AVE

sometimes AVE stations are outside of town and you must bus or shuttle train in?

No need i think to buy these tickets in advance - esp the 9 euro trains as they are open seating i believe anyway

AVE trains i think require reservations for a specific train - other tickets i believe can be used on any train - more convenient for day trips - the flexibility that is
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM

Just this past week we purchased our Madrid to Segovia Renfe tickets on line. Here's what we found. It was actually cheaper to book round trip AVANT tickets, since the return fare is about half price. The round trip cost is 9 euros to Segovia, and 5.40 euros back, as compared to two separate web AVE tickets, to and from for 8.60 euros each.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for advice, Maribel, as an expert in Spain, do I need to buy AVANT tickets in advance? And what about Toledo, I don't see any discount tickets , seams like all tickets cost 9E
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM

Hi PalenQ,
The AVANT trains still serve the Renfe station in Toledo that has the lovely neo-mudéjar architecture-a worthy sight in and of itself.

However, the high speed trains (AVE, Talgo, AVANT, Alvia.) to Segovia go to the newly opened (Dec. 23, '07) Segovia-GUIOMAR station, which is 4 km. outside of town, in the middle of a field. The AVE from there goes on to Valladolid, its final stop, and the Talgo and others go on to northern coastal cities.

From the new Segovia-Guiomar station you can take the bus #11 (fare is 0,82 euros) that drops you off right in front of the aqueduct. The journey takes from 15-20 min., depending on whether it makes 2 intermediate stops to pick up passengers. The #11 bus is timed to meet the arriving trains and to take passengers back to the station about 10-15 min. before each departure.
Times are posted at the bus stop outside the station. You can also see them here:
www.urbanosdesegovia.com/index2.htm

Click on Mapas de Líneas y Horarios at top, then línea 11 on left column.

The much slower (2+ hrs.) regional trains from Madrid to Segovia go to the old Segovia Renfe station.

You DO need to purchase your AVANT tickets for a specific train, just as you would for the AVE or Talgo. The AVANT is not open seating.

Hi AB18,
You're correct, There are no discount tickets on the Toledo AVANT. All tickets cost 9 euros now.

You actually SHOULD purchase your tickets on the AVANT (the only train running to Toledo now) in advance, on the Renfe site. Reason? Many people now commute from Toledo to Madrid or do a reverse commute, plus Toledo is the most visited city from Madrid as a day trip, and trains can often be sold out, particularly if you wait until the morning of departure.

On our last trip on the Madrid-Toledo AVANT when we arrived that am at Atocha station (with out tix printed out from the Renfe site), all the morning trains were sold out. Ditto to the convenient afternoon returns from Toledo.

If the AVANT Segovia trains fit your schedule well, yes, as kathleen notes, it is cheaper to buy the r.t. AVANT tickets to secure that 20% discount that Renfe gives on all r.t. purchases.

The cheapest tourist AVE fares are the WEB fares, bringing the price down from 20.40 to 8.60 euros because these WEB fares are only sold one way.
But again, if the AVANT departures work for you, it's cheaper, the same short ride (not scenic, as it passes through 3 long tunnels) and the same comfort.

We took the 8:30 AVE up to Segovia only because we needed to be there early for business. For a day trip, the later AVANT works just as well.

Hope this helps.