Question about Sistine Chapel ticket reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the official website to get pricing for tickets, specifically for the Sistine Chapel for budgeting. It says:
Collective visits for: Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
Number of persons Price Reservation
1 € 28.00 (p.pax)

Reservation doesn?t includ entrance tickets which must be purchased at the guided visits desk.

Question 1 - Does this ticket get me into all of the vatican museums plus the chapel and 2) what do they mean that reservation doesn't inclu. entrance tickets? If that's the case, what is the 28e for?
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM

The price for adult admission to the Vatican Museums, of which the Sistine Chapel is one section, is 12 Euros (for children under 14 and students with ID it is 8 Euros). I got this information from the website of the Vatican Museums:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...html#biglietti

Quote from the Vatican website: "The admission ticket to the Vatican Museums is valid for visiting the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel only on the date of purchase. . . Reservation is not required. Tickets are not refundable."

Were you using the website of a tour guide service? If so, the price quoted might be for the guide and you'd add 12 for museum entrance.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:39 AM

You pay 12E for the whole shootimg match - museums, sistine chapel and Saint Peter's.

Incidentally, the Sistine Chapel was huge disapointment. It is spectacular, of course, but it has been hyped far beyond the reality. There are plenty of other similar sights that that are equal or better. Actually, after a while, they all start to look the same.

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:59 AM
ChatNoir

crozier, were you the fella that also hated the Spanish Steps? Was all of Rome a huge disappointment for you? Anything you really liked there?

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

crozier,

I have been to the Sistine Chapel in 2000 and I was disappointed in the least. I can't imagine anyone would be. Since it's been so long, and we purchased tickets in lire, I'm trying to gage the correct amount to budget for, for an upcoming winter trip.

Thanks, to everyone else for the information.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

That should read - I was NOT disappointed in the least.
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM

"Author: ChatNoir
Date: 05/24/2004, 01:59 pm
Message: crozier, were you the fella that also hated the Spanish Steps? Was all of Rome a huge disappointment for you? Anything you really liked there"

This classic. I said that the Spanish stepsd are just another set of steps. No big deal. This nimrod translates that in I hated the Spanish steps. Some people need to grow.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:43 PM

crozier,
Let's be nice. Although I agree with you about the Spanish steps (the least interesting area of Rome IMO). BTW, I loved the Sistine Chapel and sat enthralled for almost half and hour - to each his own.

chatnoir,
Don't fault someone for not finding the Spanish steps such a big deal, it's possible you may agree when you visit later this year. In a similar vein, Pier 39 in SF consistantly draws huge crowds but I have no idea why.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Crozier:The sistene chapel is not just about the images it's about who painted them.I'd like to know what similar sites you consider to be equal or better so I can see them on my next visit to Rome.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM

We just got back and we enjoyed the Sistine Chapel and Vatican much more the second time around than the first, to each his own. Some people say all of Rome is just a bunch of ruins laying around. I think you have to be interested in history and have studied some of their culture to enjoy it. Going there with no background or knowledge of Roman history, thats what you would come away with, just remember the Greeks with doing this 3k years before the Romans. Many of our buildings and laws were patterned after these cultures. Take a look at Washington D.C. and what does it remind you of around the Capital and Supreme Court, the domes? Take a look at your own court houses and muni buildings in your own home town or state capital, what do you think of, Roman and Greek culture. Just some thoughts on why some not enlightened people find Italy and Greece boring, Buck
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:35 PM

do you need to pre buy tickets online or are they usually available in peek summer tourist season like end of july/eary august?
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:36 PM

One thing I found very helpful in Rome was a small vinyl clad book for sale in small stores called Rome Past & Present that has overlays that shows you what the ruins looked like in all their glory.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM

The little book mentioned in the post above is very helpful.

Re the Spanish Steps: It depends on the time of year you see them. In the winter when there are no flowers (or sunshine), they are bare and spare. I could understand the comment about "just another set of steps" under those circumstances. You also would need to be the sort of person who would appreciate the sense of community and the popular history associated with the steps.

The Sistine Chapel, on the other hand, is spectacular. The only thing that put me off was the noise and the crowds. I found it somewhat nervewracking as I hadn't expected it. All the pictures you see are "just" the chapel with no people. We entered and it was like Times Square on New Year's Eve . . . wall to wall people, all talking at once. I forgot to even look at the ceiling for a few minutes until I calmed down. You really do need to get past that to enjoy the chapel. Perhaps some people can't get past it!

Just a thought.