Question about RyanAir and timing of ongoing flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to fly RyanAir from Dinard to London, then fly them from London to Dublin. The flight from Dinard is scheduled to arrive at 13:30. There's a flight to Dublin at 15:00 and another at 17:00. I know we'll have to pick up our checked luggage and re-check it because we can't check the luggage through, also that we have to check in for the second flight 40 minutes ahead of time. It sounds to me as though the 15:00 flight would cut it too close. Am I right? (I'd like to avoid sitting in the airport for an unnecessary 2 hours, but it may be unavoidable.) I gather that RyanAir would charge quite a bit to move 17:00 reservations up to 15:00 if, in fact, the timing worked out. (There are 3 of us.)
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:18 AM
rex

<<I gather that RyanAir would charge quite a bit to move 17:00 reservations up to 15:00 if, in fact, the timing worked out.>>

Yes, basically, Ryanair will charge you the same as the walkup fare for the 17:00 fare. That is, tickets on the 15:00 flight will have no value. This is one real shortcoming of Ryanair.

I think you just about have to get the 17:00 - - and even with that, cross your fingers.

I take it you have no plans to visit ANY in Paris, nor London? (Ryanair does fly non-stop, from "Paris" Beauvais to Dublin).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex. You say "cross your fingers"--do we really need to worry that 3 and 1/2 hours between flights won't be enough?
As for Paris/London: we spent a week in London last summer, and yes, we've barely scratched the surface, but that was that trip. And yes, I love Paris, but I've been there five times and right now we're concentrating on Normandy, Brittany, and Ireland (kind of a Celtic thing going here). This trip will be five weeks total, and we're probably only scratching the surface this time, too! Thanks for your advice.
Carolyn
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
rex

One and a half hours is enough; more than enough - - if the flights are on time. It's just that the stakes are "all or nothing" with ryanair. It doesn't matter why you miss the flight; they offer no mercy.

You will have a car, right? I would drive to Beauvais; you won't really give up any more of the day, to catch the 18:15 flight and you are in Dublin at 18:45.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:01 AM
dcespedes

Hi there--just keep in mind, too, that a change in flight means a different line / counter from check-in which could add to your time at the airport. Enjoy!

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

OK--I'm checking out the Beauvais option. Beauvais is one of the sites that Kemwel lets you drop cars. We'd originally planned to drive to Dinard the afternoon of Fri June 4 (after seeing the Cairn de Givrinis in the morning), then fly out on Sat, turning the car in at the Dinard airport. We'd still have to leave on Fri because staying in Locmariaquer another day puts us over the 15-day limit for declining the CDW. I'm not sure how long to allow for driving to Beauvais--I tried to use both Mappy and Viamichelin but they want to know which Beauvais I want and I don't know. Figure 5 hours, maybe? No problem if we tuck the Cairn into our earlier sightseeing, which is probably doable (we'd still have 2 1/2 days for Carnac, Locmariaquer, Givrinis). I'd have to see if our Dublin hotel will take us a day earlier; otherwise, we could spend the night near Beauvais (is there any decent place to stay/eat there?)and fly out the next morning. Or, of course, turn in the car at CDG, taxi into Paris, spend the night there, taxi back to Beauvais--lots of taxi fares but we've saved nearly $400 on the plane fares. Anybody know how long the drive between Locmariaquer and Beauvais might be and whether we should even consider staying there?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:02 AM
yk

Hi Carol-

I looked at Mappy.com for Locmariaquer - Beauvais. It is 570km and Mappy estimated that as a 6hr drive.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Hi

It's worth reading the 9 pages of terms & conditions Ryanair supply when you book a flight. They are strict, but not always applied.

Ryanair terms & conditions are that they sell one way tickets ....... transferrable 24 hrs in advance for a cost. They don't accept any responsibility for missing one Ryanair flight because another was late. They also say check in 2 hrs before, and gates close 40mins before departure.

So I'd take the later flight.

Having said that, I've got a couple of points to make :

1) I've checked in 15 mins before departure, but only in the smaller airports (Nimes & Montpellier). Don't try it at Stansted.

2) I missed a flight Stansted - Nimes (horrific accident on M11 ........ deaths, helicopters, motorway closed etc.) I joined the queue with all the others to rebook. I was pleasantly surprised when Ryanair said they had a flat rate of GBP40 for the next days flight, and even flew me to a different airport. If they had said GBP250 I would have to have taken it ?

3)I've always been slightly overweight with checked in luggage. My hand luggage is also always overweight (work files + 4 bottles of wine)..... sometimes I've hidden it at check in !
I've never paid excess baggage or had my hand luggage weighed. I've seen others being charged excess ....... I think that has been people who checked in late, when the total weight starts to become excessive.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:14 PM
rex

Okay, I'm not sure I can improve on your plan - - seeing where Locmariaquer is. You could drive to La Rochelle on Friday pm (further than Dinard; about 3 hours) - - spend the night somewhere there. The sole reason to do this would be if that is someplace you would like to see (I would). You have a more full day there on Saturday (leaves for STN at 18:40 - - enough time to actually do something with the day - - but I don't know if Kemwel would let you drop off there) - - arrive STN at 19:05 - - and then on to Dublin at any hour you want the next morning. You have to sleep somewhere. Options near Stansted are not really any worse than other places.

Just food for thought.

Or spend the time in the airport with your current plan.