question about prescription pain meds in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help please! I am going to Italy in October and I take Norco (generic name is hydrocodone) daily in fact I rely upon it. I have the original prescription original bottles and a letter from my physician... Does anyone know if I will be alright with that to enter? Does anyone have direct experience like this? I am so worried but I have read that I should be okay. Thanks so much and bless you all for your help. I truly appreciate it.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM

You're hooked!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Waldo, the poster asked for information, not your judgmental, holier than thou, sanctimonious attitude.

Corsioux, If you are asking if anyone will give you problems with you having a reasonable number of prescription medicines in your luggage or carry on; enough to last your stay, the answer is no, IME. If you are carrying a kilo or heroin you can expect problems, of course. The customs people look for drug mules, not ordinary folks with a medical condition.

If you are asking if you can refill those prescriptions while in Italy, I do not know. Perhaps other Fodorites have an answer.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM

I've never had any problem traveling with Prescription drugs which have my name on the bottle. Never carried a letter from a doctor. Heck, it would probably cost me a $20 copay for an office visit just to get a letter.

I'll be carrying a similar Rx on my trip next month...I don't need to take it daily, but want to have it in case bursitis flares up at some point during the trip, making me virtually immobile.

My husband always packs loose aspirin, allergy pills, antiacids, etc in a plastic baggie and no one has ever mentioned them as he goes through the boarding line and pops them in the bin with his shoes.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM

As long as you are carrying a normal amount for use by one person there is no reason you shoulhd have a problem - or even be noticed. Only if you had a huge amount - and it was noticed - might you have a problem.