Question about May Day in Granada

Jan 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Question about May Day in Granada

We'll be in Granada over May Day, which is a Monday (we actually arrive on Sat the 29th, and will have all day Sun and Mon in Granada). I thought we'd spend most of Sunday at the Alhambra and see the Cathedral and Royal Chapel on Monday, but I wonder if they might be closed or have restricted hours on May Day. Does anyone know?
Thanks,
Carolyn
Jan 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM

The Royal Chapel is not closed on May 1.

http://www.capillarealgranada.com/index.en.html

(Go to "Visitor Information".)

It would surprise me hugely if a cathedral were closed for what is a civic holiday, but it is closed every day between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m.

On the plaza behind the Cathedral, there is a place that serves wonderful chocolate and churros.
Jan 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, thanks so much. I am obviously going to have to try the chocolate and churros!
Carolyn
Jan 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Be sure to make reservations early. We were in Granada in September, and when we tried to book morning reservations for the Alhambra, they were already full a couple of months ahead of time.

We were able to get reservations for the afternoon, but we did book a couple of months ahead.
Jan 28th, 2006, 12:49 AM

May Day is celebrated in France and the UK. May 1st in Spain is "Labour Day".
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM

(This isn't a direct answer to your question but it's worth taking into account.)

With a bit of luck you'll catch some of the fiesta of "Las cruces de Mayo" (the crosses of May) which is celebrated throughout the region.

Basically it's a spring festival that culminates on the 3rd of May. It's based around "crosses" which people make and set up round the city. You'll even see crosses made from chocolate or pastry in the windows of bakeries, or floral crosses made by florists.

They set up temporary bars and sound systems at many points around the city (usually the main squares or plazas), and every evening people get together and dance Sevillanas. You'll see a lot of girls dressed in typical feria dresses, maybe even some people on horseback.

It's really a lot of fun. Although the main day of celebration is the 3rd of May, a lot of people start earlier so there's a good chance you'll be able to see some of the festivities (when I lived in Granada it went on for a week - and a particularly large sound system had been installed just under my bedroom window so I didn't sleep for a week either!!!)
Jan 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Make sure you reserve your Alhambra tickets beforehand, I've seen really long lines.
You can do this online: www.alhambratickets.com/

Buen viaje!