Reload this Page >

Question about Madison Hotel in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
annieladd

The hotel has quoted a rate of 285E for twin bedded room facing courtyard or church. Any suggestions for sites where I could book it for a better rate? Underhill, you wonderful advisor, are you there? Also looking at the Fleurie, any comparison? annieladd

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My goodness, after that compliment, of course I'm here! We got a rate of 220€ last September through Orbitz (not including breakfast). When are you going? A number of similar hotels are not upping their rates in September and possibly other months because of all the shows.

A friend who was in Paris recently stayed at the Bourgogne et Montana, in the 7th. He liked it very much--and the hotel is under the same management as the Madison. Might be worth a try.

If you decide on the Madison, however, ask for a room with a view of the church--that's across the Blvd. St-Germain (no noise problems). Those rooms are quite large and have tall windows and teeny balconies with flower boxes.

Another possibility would be Ste-Beuve, about which I've heard a lot of good things. It's out by the Luxembourg Gardens.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Shoulder ache makes fingers wander...should have said some hotels ARE upping their prices in September (and October, too) because of all the trade and other shows. At other times your chances of a better deal on prices might be greater.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM

annieladd, when are you going? I recently contacted Le Madison (1-3 weeks ago?) and they indicated that within the month, they may be lowering their rates for a summer promotion. I have bookmarked their website, but no discount so far. I'll let you know if/when I find anything.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:34 AM
annieladd

Thanks for both of your responses. I posted something many days earlier about my elderly parents going to Paris in October, so I'm making a reservation for them (alas, not me). And, the Madison really sounded like it would fit their needs. I'll try Orbitz and see what we end up with. Underhill, thanks for the tip on the room location overlooking the church. I was thinking this morning I should have asked that, and low and behold, you read my mind! Thanks! Annieladd

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:04 AM

We really like the Hotel des Saints-Peres on the Rue des Saints-Peres, a couple of blocks from the Madison in the 6th. The hotel is small and charming, there are elevators, the service is warm and helpful. The rooms are larger than an average Paris 3* and the baths are lovely. I think you can get a twin room for 200E.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
annieladd

Thanks MAMC. Underhill, I checked with the Madison, and they say the orbitz price of 228 will only apply for view of courtyard, and of course, without breakfast. The 285E is for church view and breakfast. I guess I"ll check with the parents tonight, and see if that's what they want. Thanks, annieladd

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I think the increased price is because the hotel, along with many others, is now upping the cost during Septemer and October, prime time in Paris. Do encourage your parents to go for the church-view rooms; they are really special, especially those on the upper floors.

Maybe you could negotiate a price for church view without breakfast?
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
annieladd

So funny to read your note, because I just got off the phone with dadd and he said, I don't need a view, see what you can do for courtyard view w/ breakfast....(228 + ?) Guess I'll see what they say.. Do you know if the rooms with Courtyard view are as large as those you stayed in?

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I don't think so, but have your parents ask for a room with twin beds, which by French law have to be larger than those with only doubles. (The beds are pushed together in any event.) The church-view rooms at the front are in the superior category and thus larger.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM

You can reach me directly at [email protected] if you need a quick response for some question.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 02:35 PM
To_Paris

Hi -

This thread is from a couple of months ago - wondering if any of you are still there - or if, you may be back from your stay.

WOndering what you thought.

Also - do you know if they have triple rooms for a family?

Thanks in advance

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM

annieladd, someone else mentioned another good hotel choice, Le St. Beuve near the Luxembourg Gardens.

You may also want to consider the Luxembourg Parc that's located across from the gardens and it's not far from the Madison's location. It's gotten many nice reviews both here and on Tripadvisor.com. They have Lux. Gardens view rooms that cost less than the Madison's church view rooms. Just another hotel for your consideration. http://www.luxembourg-paris-hotel.co.../Frameset.html
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Sorry, I mixed up Hotel des Saints Peres with the St. Beuve. But Hotel Lux. Parc is a good choice anyway.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Dear Annieladd, I have stayed at both the Madison and the Ste Beuve.While I love the Madison the prices are out of my reach with the dismal exchange rates between the dollar and Euro.I stayed at the Saint Beuve last year , and liked it very much.I think it would suit your parents needs, and give them some x-tra cash to splurge on a nice meal in Paris.If you have any questions please feel free to email me: [email protected]
viva la France!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM

My wife and I were there last October and stayed at the Hotel Pas des Calais ... check it out right off the blvd St Germaine and around the corner from Deux Magots, etc .... we have stayed there the last two times we were in Paris. Have also stayed at Le Sainte Beuve (mentioned above) and liked it a lot.