Question about Logis de France

Aug 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Question about Logis de France

I am wondering when they have the typical half board price listed if it is per person including the room? Here is an example
19 Room(s)
Minimum price : 62,00 EUR
Maximum price : 100,00 EUR

Half board
Minimum price : 60,00 EUR
Maximum price : 80,00 EUR

Menu rates
Menus : 18,50 - 43,00 EUR
Children menu : 10,00 EUR
Breakfast : 6,50 EUR

Do you think it is generally worth it to get half board in these places? How has your experience been with the Logis? Is there a tremendous difference between 2 and 3 chimney hotels??
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM

The only place I've done half-board in France was in a ski area the Alps, and the hotel, Auberge de Mont Prorel, was part of the Logis system. Breakfast was great, and some of the dinners were fine. The chef seemed to do his best work at regional specialties and desserts. (The fruits de mer left a bit to be desired!) All in all, it worked out well for us since the skiers among us would come back from the slopes late afternoon, and we'd have a beer/drink in the hotel bar, and then relax in our rooms until time to come down to dinner. One night we chose to eat out in a restaurant, and with advance notice, they provided lunch for us that day. I think half-board probably makes most sense in an area where there are not a lot of wonderful restaurants to try out; also, it is less expensive, especially for a group of people.

Yes, I would imagine that the typical half-board price is per person, inc. room.
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:56 PM

I've stayed in one that was quite nice, but it didn't have a restaurant anyway. I've seen the half-board prices listed all kinds of ways -- per person with room, per person without room, etc. Often it is without the room because it's an add-on price to the room price (which would not usually be quoted per person, you pay for the room). Sometimes it may be quoted for more than one day, also.

Those rates look like they are per person with the room given the room rates appear for the room, not per person. Often if they quote prices that way they also are clear if it varies by occupancy, as it must (double vs. single).

Good hotel web sites are clear, if not, you'll have to ask the hotel as there isn't any rule.
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:00 PM

oh, I forgot -- do I think it is worth it? Sometimes it is and sometimes not. Often the price isn't too different from paying separately, and you may have a limited menu if you pay the board; other times it is a good deal. I don't usually want to dine in the same place all the time, but if you were in the middle of nowhere, it could make sense.
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM

I usually stay at B&B, or a ferme-Auberge and a few night's at a relais. The few times at a logis, the food wasn't very good.
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:43 PM

I've stayed at a few Logis-de-France hotels but never with half or full board. I don't want to be tied down to a particular restaurant and worse yet a limited selection off the menu. That being said I've eaten at a few Logis hotels where I wasn't staying and had some very nice meals. Montlucon and Ambert come to mind.

I've also found that I get cheaper rate quotes if I contact the Logis properties directly. The Logis web site usually says breakfast is included in their rate, but when I contact the hotel directly I get the cost of the room minus the cost of the breakfast. Again, I don't like being tied to a hotel for any meal. Besides I'm not a coffee drinker and I think the hotel breakfasts in France are way over priced for me to have a croissant and a glass of orange juice and a bit of butter for 6, 7 & 8 euros on up. I'd much rather go to a bakery and get a pain au chocolat.
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like it might be better to not get half-board. Has anyone also used International Hotels...I had picked up a book when we were in Avignon in 2002. The cover says Chateaux Demeures De Tradition et Grandes Etapes des Vignobles. They are generally small country hotels and chateaux's
Aug 20th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Hi --half-board is typically indicated per person in our experience and we have had excellent results when using it. While there may not be as great a choice in the menu, the price is typically unbeatable--and one can designate a night in which you will only take the breakfast. We have found the food in the Logis de France hotels in which we stayed to be very good--local cuisine with some very fine touches. Hope that helps.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, does anyone have any recommendations for logis in the Dordogne area that you particularily liked? We may also stay in St-Émilion also and I am considering possibly Cortes or Albi too. Would you base yourselves close to or in Sarlat in the Dordogne or is there another city that anyone liked.
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:14 AM

cparris, this June we stayed in a b&b about 1/2 mile outside of St. Emilion that was very nice and if you want to stay at a charming house with about four rooms I would recommend the Chateau Meylet. It is on a vineyard, breakfast only and St. Emilion has many good restaurants. I found the place through gites of france but it is also listed in the France Eyewitness Travel Guide as a recommendation. On that same trip our only experience with half board was that indeed our dinner choices were almost non-existant. Luckly all of us liked salmon!! We have stayed at Hotel de la Madeleine in Sarlat and thought the location hard to beat. Deborah Ann
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM

The place to stay in the Dordogne is roughly with a 30-mile half radius west of Sarlat (i.e, draw a half-moon to the left of Sarlat, if you can picture this). There is a Logis de France in Trémolat called Le Vieux Logis that is, IMO, overpriced, but many people love it. Other similar places (in the Châteaux et Hôtels de France book) that may also be Logis de France properties include La Roseraie and the Relais du Solel d'Or in Montignac, the Relais du Moussidière just outside Sarlat,l'Abbaye in St-Cyprien, L'Esplanade in Domme,the Domaine de la Barde in Le Bugue, the Domaine de Rochebois in Vitrac, and Les Glycines in Les Eyzies.
La Madeleine in Sarlat is a lovely place, but personally driving in and out of Sarlat these days is more trouble than it's worth IMO - I think it's less of a hassle to stay outside the city and drive in for market day or shopping.
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:55 PM

I was wondering the same thing about the Logis de France hotels. I'm planning a trip to Burgundy in October, and have booked one, Hostellerie d'Aussois in Semur, for 2 nights. They require a 3-night stay to get the half-board, as do some others I've contacted. I've read somewhere that the rooms at this hotel are nice, but the food isn't that great. (It's a 3-chimney). Does anyone know anything about this hotel, or can suggest any place near Semur (or Avallon)?
Aug 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Sue: Do you mean Saumur or Semur-en-Auxois? I assume the latter.

I have always been under the impression that it is illegal in France for hotelliers to require that clients take the half- or full-board option. Not sure where I got that idea, but it seems to me I've had it in my head for many years. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

At any rate, I have never opted for it because I have always been sure I could get better food elsewhere for the same or better price. I've never stayed at a Logis de France or other property that had a restaurant I wanted to eat at more than I wanted to eat at some other place I had already scouted out in advance.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:47 AM

My wife and I drove around the south of France a few years ago staying mainly at Logis de France places. It was late September-early October so no reservations were needed. At the time, the dollar was worth about 25-30% more than now.

We used mainly 2-hearth and a few 3-hearth Logis hotels, and only those that had the "pot" symbol indicating better food with regional specialities. Facilities at 2-hearth places were quite acceptable, but 3-hearth was appreciably better, but more costly. We averaged about $100 per night for a comfortable room with bathroom and shower, a nice dinner for two from the middle or top of the menu plus a bottle of wine, no breakfast. Half-board didn't seem worth it, and breakfast never is a value compared to the local bakery. We slept well, and ate very well.

Most of the diners at these hotel restaurants were not guests at the hotel, which means something.
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:28 PM

St. Cirq, I meant Semur-en-Auxois. And about the half-board, what I meant to say is that, in order to get the half-board option, you must be staying at least 3 or more nights. I don't think that I would take the half-board unless I knew without a doubt that they had fabulous food. It could be very convenient in an area without many restaurants, though. Or if you are traveling solo and prefer to be close to hotel at night. I am traveling solo to Burgundy, but there seem to be plenty of restaurants in that region of France!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:45 PM

We did a three week trip through France in 2000 and stayed in Logis the entire trip. All reservations were made through their website and we very satisfied. It was probably ten or twelve hotels, all two chimneys, except Brantome and Barr which were three. Because of the location, we even stsyed at a one chimney. For the small difference in price between a two and a three chimney hotel, I would go for the three on our next trip.

Our favorite was the Hotel Chabrol in Brantome. Service was very good, and the food was excellent. We'll be be there again in 2005.