Reload this Page >

Question about connection in Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Derek

We are flying into Frankfurt for our connection to Rome. We are scheduled to arrive in Frankfurt at 8:55am. Our flight to Rome leaves at 10am. Both flights are on Lufthansa. My question is, will this be enough time to make the connection? We will not have checked baggage so that won't be a problem. Do we go through customs there or in Rome? Any info will be appreciated!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Dayle

Derek, I was able to make the same short connections on Lufthansa in Frankfurt. The airport is huge &amp; sprawling, but thankfully all flights were on time. You go through customs in Rome.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:23 PM
George

Is this true? I thought German and Italy were both Schengen countries. In Amsterdam, flights from non-EU countries arrive in one part of the airport and you must go through passport control to reach a Schengen gate.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Sjoerd

No problem about making the connection in Frankfurt.<BR>You will go through immigration (passport control) in Frankfurt and through customs (bag check) in Rome. So no need to pick up your bags in Frankfurt. <BR>So Dayle and George are both right.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:49 AM
roco

Derek,<BR><BR>We just did this in November through a group tour. Flying from the US was no problem with about 2 l/2 hours layover.<BR><BR>However, returning to the US, we had only a 40 minute connection (unbelievable that they would have even booked it that close) and there was a big problem because the Lufthansa from Rome was late. I talked to the flight attendant, and he said they (Lufthansa) had us in the computer and the connecting flight from Frankfurt to Denver would not leave without us.......<BR><BR>By the time we de-planned in Frankfurt, we had just a few minutes remaining and we went to the nearest Lufthansa kisok, and &quot;demanded&quot; (nicely, with tears on my part) that they get us a Lufthansa CART to drive us the &quot;miles&quot; through the concourse for our connecting flight.<BR><BR>They did commandaneer (sp?) a cart that was in use, put us in it, and broke speed laws that weren't even written yet to get us to passport control and our flight. It is a wonder we did NOT fly out of the cart, but the Lufthansa attendants on that flight greeted us with smiles and all was well.<BR><BR>Moral of the story, be aware of what you need to do if necessary and take charge!! <BR><BR>We had no problems with Lufthansa personnel. A week earlier in the Frankfurt airport while awaiting our flight to Rome, I went &quot;shopping&quot; and had no passport, boarding pass, or I.D. with me so I could not return to my possessions through passport control. I went into a Lufthansa office in the concourse with only my credit card for I.D. They looked in the computer, printed another boarding pass, put me in a cart, and graciously took me back to my &quot;seat&quot;. Lucky ME.<BR>P.S. Husband was reading and did NOT miss me.