Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does this sound for our Italy vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:00 AM
maryann

I know that in August a lot of the locals go on vacation, but I also want to take advantage of Labor day weekend to book our vacation to Italy.<BR>How does this sound to you:<BR>8/28 Fly to Venice (Thursday) <BR>8/29 Venice (Friday)<BR>8/30 Venice (Saturday)<BR>8/31 travel to Florence/Tuscany (Sunday)<BR>9/1 Tuscany (Monday)<BR>9/2 Tuscany (Tuesday)<BR>9/3 Travel to Rome (Wednesday)<BR>9/4 Rome (Thursday)<BR>9/5 Rome (Friday)<BR>9/6 Fly home (Saturday)

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:10 AM
elaine

For a very brief taste of each place, great. Two and one-half days in Rome will frustrate you I think; anyway, it would me. But if you have your heart set on seeing all those places, go for it.<BR>You might want to consider trains in the evenings so as not to cut into your sightseeing time.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Karen

Sounds great! I loved Florence, it's a beautiful city. I only had 3 days there as well, so never made it out to the countryside, as there is so much to do in Florence!<BR><BR>You can easily take the train between these cities if you don't want to rent car, but a car would work too.<BR><BR>You will love it.<BR><BR>Happy travels!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Dave

Maryann,<BR><BR>I think it sounds like a great itinerary given the amount of time you'll be there. <BR><BR>If I could make one recommendation, it would be to stay away from Florence and instead stay somewhere in the Tuscan countryside (at a bed &amp; breakfast or farmhouse). I love Florence, but the city will be jammed with tourists that time of year. It will be a nice break in between visiting the cities of Venice and Rome.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:25 AM
maryann

thanks for your recommendations.<BR>We are planning to stay in a castle in Tuscany

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Jim

Just one question. Are you arriving in Venice on Thursday 8/28, or are you departing on Wednesday arriving in Venice on 8/28? Unless you are flying from the EU, you loose a whole day flying, and would have to deduct a day from your itinerary.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Myer

I don't think 2 1/2 days in Rome is a problem.<BR><BR>Depends on your wants/needs.<BR><BR>If you don't bother with most of the indoor places (museums) and include only the Vatican you can walk the entire city of interest several times in that time. We did and really enjoyed it.<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:10 AM
maryann

I am planning on arrive to venice on the 28th.<BR>I appreciate your input on this!