Question about connecting in Gatwick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question for those of you who have connected in Gatwick. I am flying Delta into Gatwick next month, laying over for a couple of hours and then Flybe to Inverness. My question is about passport control and customs. Also, I know this is a question for the airlines but i will ask it here too, will Delta transfer the bags to Flybe automatically?
After landing in Gatwick I will need to change terminals to get to Flybe. Do I nned to go through passport control and customs at Gatwick or not until my final UK destination of Inverness? If Delta does not transfer my bags do i just collect them at the baggage carosel and then head to the other terminal? If this is the case does anyone know if there is a place to check in with Flybe without having to go through passport control and then out to the ticket counter area, and then back through security to the Flybe gate?
Thank you in advance for your info!
Ken
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Flybe is a budget airline, so I don't think there is an inter-carrier luggage transfer agreement between DL and BE. So you can't check your luggage through. Since you're connecting to a domestic flight, you'll need to go through immigration at Gatwick as well.

DL arrives on North terminal, flybe departs from South terminal.

So you'll need to go through passport control, get your luggage, go thru the customs (which is a breeze), take a train to South terminal (only a few minute ride, easily marked), then check-in at flybe.

A couple of hour should be doable, assuming no major delays on the incoming flight. I haven't flown on BE but you should just check what their cut-off time is for check-in.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Here is a quote from the Gatwick site: "Passengers arriving from international or United Kingdom (UK) points of origin, who are connecting onwards to UK destinations (including the Channel Islands and Ireland) must follow the standard arrivals route through customs (for international passengers) and baggage reclaim, and then proceed to check in for their onward flight. Please note it is a UK Immigration Service requirement that all passengers entering the UK must present themselves to Immigration at the first port of call."

Flybe is a budget airline so I doubt if it is a codeshare partner with Delta. If I'm right, you'll have to claim your luggage and then re-check it.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
another fly in the ointment -- what do you mean by a couple of hours? 90 mins or nearly 3 hrs - makes a big difference. Your arrival time is not when you set foot in the arrivals hall. That is when your flight is scheduled to land.

From flybe' website -- <i>&quot;Flybe minimum check in times are listed below. <u>Passengers who present themselves after check-in has closed will not be allowed to board the flight and will forfeit their seat - no refund or free transfer will be given</u>.

Domestic flights
Please check in a minimum of 30 minutes if you have hold baggage . . . . .&quot;<i></i></i>
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Suggest you also check on baggage weight limitations on Flybe - the allowable amount is usually much less than on a US transatlantic flight. You don;t want to be paying a huge amount in overweight baggage - or even have to leave things behind.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I have 2.5 hours between flights in Gatwick so I think I'll be ok there. What I am going to attempt to do is convince the wife to pack light and try to use all carry on baggage instead of checking any. Plus I am going to use bags that will pass the more restrictive size and weight limitations of Flybe (and also later in the vacation EasyJet) so I don't have problems there. I am going to pack a light duffel so in case we go over our limit for carry on weight we can go ahead and check what we need to. Thanks again for all the information and tips!
Ken
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM

If you have the extra duffel, then you must check your other bags on Flybe. You are only allowed ONE piece of handcarry through security at UK airports. One piece means exactly that. Not 1+1.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi rkkwan,
I am hoping to use the duffel only in the case where we have purchased too many items on vacation and we cannot fit them in our bag. If that happens then I will be forced to check the duffel.
Thanks again,
Ken