Question About Bookmarking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often see people say "bookmarking" at the end of a long thread. Two questions:

1. Is there a computer-based reason to <u>post</u> &quot;bookmarking&quot; or can you just bookmark without the post; and

2. Do bookmarks last forever? In other words, if I book the great thread about London sightseeing from this morning, will I be able to pull it up a couple of years from now? If not, of course, I'd be better off printing it out.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I find &quot;bookmarking&quot; one of the annoying things people do on here. It isn't doing anything special, and no, you can't do it without posting within the thread. All it's doing is attaching your name to a thread because you posted in it, that's all. It's nothing magical, and doesn't store anything in any special place for you. I guess you know if you click on your name, every single thread you've posted in shows up in a long list, which is what that does.

I really don't know why people do this, as it doesn't seem very helpful to just list every single thread you've ever posted on when you want to find something. If you could search within your own threads by a word, now that I would find useful.

I wish no one &quot;bookmarked&quot;.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

So they aren't &quot;bookmarking&quot; in the sense of saving the thread as a &quot;favorite&quot; on their own computer?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

No, it does not save it to your computer. You can email the thread to yourself and save it that way.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I just e-mail the 'link' to myself - i.e

- Right-click on the thread title (in the left-hand column),
- Choose 'Copy Shortcut.' then
- Paste into an e-mail and send it to myself

e.g. the link to this thread is -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=3&amp;start=0

Steve
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM

If you right click on the title of this thread you can bookmark it to your hard drive.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM

If your browser is IE and you want to add a Fodors thread to &quot;My Favorites&quot;:
right click the thread's title and select &quot;add to favorites&quot;.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I have added lengthy threads to favorites that I wanted to read later, but did not especially want to bookmark because I considered them a one time read. Quite frequently when I access the thread all I get is the list of messages on the left, but the space for the thread is empty.

Thanks for the suggestion of e-mailing to onself.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM

steve, thanks for the know how to e-mail to myself.
i have been guilty of bookmarking and since realized it means nothing, zero, zilch and pulls up nothing you want.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

If you do email the thread to yourself (thanks for that tip), is it dynamic or static (meaning, if I email it today, and there are more responses tomorrow, will those additional responses show up?)
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Christina, you wrote:

<i>If you could search within your own threads by a word, now that I would find useful.</i>

The &quot;find&quot; function works well for this - it's CONTROL F on my computer and allows search for a specific word or phrase.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
yk

I'm with Christina. I find people typing &quot;bookmark&quot; in a reply to a thread rather annoying. It's <u>much easier</u> to either:
1) email the thread to yourself, or
2) save the URL of the thread to your own favorites folder (which is what I do)
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

nyse, the search function on Fodor's is notoriously hit and miss.

yk, see hopingtotravel's post regarding saving the url as a favorite. My experience has been like hers/his that it brings up the list of threads, not the content of the thread I thought I was saving.

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
yk

<i>yk, see hopingtotravel's post regarding saving the url as a favorite. My experience has been like hers/his that it brings up the list of threads, not the content of the thread I thought I was saving.</i>

I'm not sure why you're only getting list of threads on the Left hand column.

For example, if I want to save this thread to my IE's favorite folder, this is what I do:

1) RIGHT click on the TITLE of this thread when it's shown up on the right side of the screen.

2) Choose &quot;add to favorites&quot; to my IE Favorites folder. The URL of this thread will be saved, which is
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35180025

This is how I saved many useful planning threads, interesting trip reports (esp for future reference), plus all my previous trip reports. All safely saved in my Favorites folder in IE.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM

<i>So they aren't &quot;bookmarking&quot; in the sense of saving the thread as a &quot;favorite&quot; on their own computer?</i>

No.

The people who type &quot;bookmarking&quot; at the bottom of a thread don't understand what it means to create a genuine bookmark (or add the site to favorites), and don't care to take the time to learn. So they do this as a &quot;shortcut&quot; to find the thread later and annoy lots of people by doing so.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
yk

BTW, our editor, Katie, has mentioned that in the new Fodors forum site, they will add in a function for people to save threads to their own Favorites folder in their profile page.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you get to the bottom of some 4 year old thread (of course not noticing it is old 'til you get to the bottom) about the &euro; exchange rate, or an apartment in Berlin and the last entry is &quot;bookmarking&quot; . . . . . grrrrr &gt;

And that 4 yo thread was started by someone who never posted again and it now pushes some current thread off on to page 2 <b> . . . . . grrrrr &gt;</b>
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
yk

Hehe... actually, the only time that a &quot;bookmark&quot; reply doesn't bother me, is when the poster is bookmarking MY trip report; esp if it is an old one which hasn't surfaced for some time. I always enjoy seeing my trip reports being read.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My apparently contrarian opinion: when I add a comment to a thread, that has the same effect as writing the word &quot;bookmarking&quot;. I do this frequently when I am in the middle of a trip report or discussion that someone is continuing to add to, so that when I click on my name it will come up again each time and I can find it to read the continuation.

Every time I log onto Fodor's, I click on my name first thing, and that way I get a list of all the active threads that I'm interested in.

As far as whether it lasts forever, it lasts as long as the thread isn't shut down and deleted. Or at least that is how it has worked until now. The new version might be different.

If there is a very informative thread that I want to save for my own reference, I copy it into a Word document. That way I have it forever, no matter what happens to the thread.

In answer to a previous question, if you e-mail a thread, you are e-mailing the url, and every time you click on it you will bring up the current version of the thread, rather than the version that existed when you first e-mailed it.

If there is a group of threads I want to remember, I copy the url's into a Word document. That's how I can access and refer to my old trip reports, for example.

In order to copy the url of the thread, I open the thread, right click on the title of the thread at the top of the thread on the right, then click on copy shortcut. Then I paste that into my Word document.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Bookmarking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -