Reload this Page >

Quartier latin or Marais?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:59 AM
ackis

these places are central but which one do you think is nicer to stay ?<BR>i found 2 hotels one situated in boulevard stmichel and the other next to village hotel in Marais.which one to choose?<BR>im interested in hearing your ideas<BR>thanks<BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Statia

I would choose the Latin Quarter. We stayed in that area and really enjoyed it. We felt centrally located, and we had lots of entertainment to choose from at night.<BR><BR>That's my opinion, but others may feel different and give you valid reasons to stay elsewhere.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Wayne

Guess I consider it a tossup. The Marais is supposedly the up-and-coming, new "in" place to be, whereas the Latin Quarter seems to have less appeal than it used to. I've stayed in both, and I tend to like the Marais now, only because the area seems more like the "old" Paris of 25 years ago. (Now I'm telling my age.)

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:19 PM
ackis

wyana you are young ,i know,dont worry.thanks.<BR>statia thanks as well!<BR>i would like to listen to other people opinions too ,so as to choose the right one.you know ,iam 22 ,i thought that itisnt a good idea to stay in the peripherique ,since there is nothing to do in the night.<BR>Marais maybe is the suitable place for me to go out in the evening ,go to a bar and walk safe in the night.<BR>some other opinions?<BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Jim Rosenberg

You can't lose on this choice. I guess I would consider the Marais a bit more upscale in places and the Latin Quarter a bit more "lively" by comparison to the Marais. That said, it would be difficult for me to make an argument against the wonderful street you cite in the Latin Quarter or the location you've indicated in the Marais. Flip a coin and go have a great time!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
ackis

thanks ,your thoughts are nice!<BR>i have a dilemmma.where can you entertain yourselves better?<BR>Marais is close to chatelet les halles,4 years ago ,when i was in Paris i was told to avoid .is it a problem for not choosing to stay there?<BR>thank you all

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:18 PM
clairobscur

I don't know where exactly is the village hotel, but the Bvd saint-Michel is a very busy street.<BR><BR>I personnally find the Marais has more charm, and some part of it at least are more lively. I would choose the Marais.<BR><BR>By the way, Chatelet isn't to avoid at night (there are large and busy avenues, theaters, etc...), Les Halles probably more so (though I went many times at night there, and didn't feel unsafe, there are some young people there who don't look like you would want to have a chat with them, so I can understand the point) . The *metro station* Chatelet Les Halles and its very long and numerous corridors is avoided by many people at night. Though I'm not convinced they're actually unsafe, it can certainly be intimidating.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:24 PM
StCirq

Ackis:<BR><BR>A hotel right ON the Boul. St-Michel might possibly be very noisy at night.<BR><BR>My personal preference is the Marais, but if I were 22 I think I might prefer the St-Michel area.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:44 PM
ackis

good information clairobscur,thanks !<BR>however ,there are 2 different points.other chose Marais as more lively place ,other Quartier Latin.<BR>Really what do you mean by saying "lively"?<BR>the 2 places are great ,thats fo sure<BR>thank youn StCrq,you seem to know what i want

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:50 PM
ackis

to be clear i am talking about Hotel du loiret which is close to hotel de village in Marais and the Hotel de suez in Boulevard Stmichel in Quartier Latin<BR>now ,whats your opinion please?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Patsy P.

"ackis" dear, <BR>An email with no capitals makes it appear to be written by a shy third-grader. The shift keys are located on the right and left sides of the keyboard.<BR><BR>And, Sweetie, it's good that you occasionally do use a comma, but the space you so carefully insert before the comma should not be there. It goes AFTER the comma, like this. You will learn this next year in fourth grade.<BR><BR>Your friend,<BR>Patsy Punctuation

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ackis

I was in a hurry!<BR>Ok,now Mrs Punctuation?<BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:09 PM
ackis

My God!<BR>I lost the space after the comma!<BR>Do not hit me please!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Just to get off the punctuation thing, I second StCirq's savvy suggestion. (Say that four times really fast!)

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
ackis

;o)

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:03 PM
clairobscur

Well, I can see both point. I was thinking along the following lines :<BR><BR>-The Marais has an older athmosphere, charming streets, etc...<BR><BR>-There are many interesting little shops in the area<BR><BR>-There's the Jewish district with restaurants, etc..<BR><BR>-Concerning nightlife, there's the gay district, the numerous bars in the Chatelet-Les halles area, which is nearby, and perhaps more interesting, on the other side of the Marais , all the latino bars and clubs which caters for a young crowd around the Rue de la roquette (near Place de la Bastille).<BR><BR>That said, I can see both point. A large part of the Marais is pretty quiet at night. The streets in the latin quarter are certainly more crowded, and certainly there are a lot of young people roaming there, but I can't think of many places which could be "fun" to spend the evening/night in. <BR><BR>So, I was thinking that I would appreciate the Marais district for its athmosphere during the day, and if I wanted to have some fun, and was 22, I could go, like I said, to some club/bar around the rue de la Roquette at night. While despite the streets being more crowded, the cheap restaurants being open late at night, I'm not sure what I would do in the Latin quarter (well..actually,personnally I would go watching some old movie in one of the numerous little movie theaters, but I guess it's not the sort of things you intend to do in Paris)<BR><BR>Oh, well...thinking twice I don't know anymore what to advise. That's true, the latin quarter is probably more "lively" and if one want to have some fun, it's quite easy anyway to take the metro, a taxi, or even to walk to any interesting club or whatever.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Christina

I think probably the Suez might be a better choice in general. Mainly because of location. I don't know where the Loiret hotel is (there is Loiret hotel near the Louvre, but I guess it's not that one) but the Village Hotel isn't really in what most people call the Marais. It's in-between rue Oberkampf and Belleville near place Republique. I don't even know if that area has a name exactly. There is a lot of action around rue Oberkampf and down near place Bastille, that is true, but it's not as central as the Suez. I think it could be noisy on bd St-Michel (but maybe the other is, too), but it certainly is central and convenient and I think in general it is a safer choice that you will like that area. I think it is somewhat safer, also. I have read comments from Parisian residents whose opinion I trust that it is perhaps not so safe around place Republique area at night, especially for solo women.<BR><BR>Chatelet-Les Halles does have a higher crime rate than any other metro station, I believe, and not just pickpocketing. A month or two ago someone on here noted an article in Le Parisien which cited the official crime statistics by metro station (assault or aggravated, not just pickpocketing) and I think that station was number one.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:46 PM
ackis

thank you ladies!<BR>each of you have some reasons to make me believe that your recommondation is the best.<BR>things get tough!<BR>sorry i made a mistake ,the hotel du loiret is close to HOTEL DE VILLE <BR>so now Christina ,do you have the same opinion about the place?<BR>im looking forward to receiving your new answers<BR>thanks<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:36 AM
Christina

Ackis, I do not know exactly because I have been sightseeing around Hotel de Ville but have never stayed in a hotel in that area. I think it would be very convenient for touring, of course, it is very central. I guess that is closer to what people think of as the Marais area for nightlife. Is it the hotel on rue des Bons Enfants? If so, that is near the Palais Royal and the Banque de France. I don't know that area too well for a hotel. I can't decide, I think I might prefer the nightlife on the Right Bank myself to the bd St-Michel area and it is a lot easier to get to it from around Hotel de Ville or Palais Royal metro stops, it's on the same line and you can avoid Chatelet-Les Halles etc stops.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:32 AM
ackis

the hotel is situated in a small rue ,rue Mauvais Garcons,which is connected to rue de Rivoli.,close to Pompidou Center.<BR>what can you do in Quartier Latin in the night?<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -