Q: lavender field

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: lavender field

Does anyone know the way to get to the nearest lavender field from Avignon train station by public transportation or by bike? I don't want to rent a car cox that is really problematic. how far is it from the train station? For example, is it possible to bike from Avignon train station to Gordes?
THanks
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Hi Suchow,

Since no one answered your question I'll have a go at it. According to mappy, Avignon to Gordes is 40 km, so you should be able to bike it.

But, you won't see flowering lavender at this time of year. You're a couple of months too late. It usually peaks in late June, early July.

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:44 PM

I wouldn't recommend trying to bike from Avignon to Gordes.... you aren't likely to survive the ride.
You can take a train from Avignon to l'Isle sur la Sorgue and then bike to Gordes.
The best view of lavender fields in that area is at the Abbaye de Senanque, not far from Gordes.... in the beginning of July
Patricia
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Adrienne and PBProvence!!

According to the train from Avignon to l'Isle sur la Sorgue, is that a TGV train?
Do they have bike rental in l'Isle sur la Sorgue? If i have to stay overnight, should I stay in Avignon? Or only a day trip is enough?

Thanks again!

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:42 PM

The dry heat this summer was even too much for the lavender (which typically thrives in dry heat). I went to see the fields in July and they were all in poor shape EXCEPT for l'Abbaye de Senanque which is either blessed by a greater power or watered with all the money generated by gift shop sales. I really found it to be the best spot -- and worth seeing even if the lavender isn't blooming. The abbey is beautiful.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Suchow:
No... the train to l'Isle is a local train - it can't take more than 20 -25 minutes. I know there are bike rental places in town, but offhand I can't remember where they are - it's an easy walking town and perhaps they can tell you in the train station where the place is. I doubt if you'd need to do an overnight... one day is more than sufficient for you to visit l'Isle, Gordes and even the Abbaye...

Patricia