Q for Julie Vikmanis re: Chez Clovis

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q for Julie Vikmanis re: Chez Clovis

Hi Julie,

I saw your recommendation for Chez Clovis and their Os de Moelle in your 20002, 2003, and 2004 trip reports (which were great, btw). Next week, we're taking my in-laws to Paris for a long weekend and my MIL loves bone marrow so I think Chez Clovis will be perfect for her.

Here's the rub: I am vegetarian (eggs and dairy ok). Do you recall any vegetarian selections on their menu? A long shot, I'm sure. I plan to telephone them as well to see if they will accommodate my preferences. If they can't, we'll just split up for that meal and she can suck marrow to her heart's content.

Thanks for your help.

Maureen
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:13 AM

This is Julie Vikmanis, posting from my daughter's computer. As a big time carnivore myself, I just don't recall anything vegetarian at Chez Clovis but I'm sure they must have some salad and could fix you can omlette on request if it's not on the menu. As a restaurant near the original Les Halles market it's pretty easy to see how they'd be fairly meat intensive. But the market had plenty of veggies too and they must have some veggie dishes. I know they do a mean beef with carrots but don't suppose you'd be interested in having it just for the carrots. Your plan to phone them is a good one. Hope it works out for you. The place is not only great for the marrow, but their food is good overall and the atmosphere is as old time bistro as it gets. Oh, I just thought of something. I know they have soupe l'ognion (sp?) on the menu. That's veggie, althought they probably make it using some beef and/or chicken broth. Good luck. Enjoy.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Julie,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. My MIL is THRILLED with your recommendation of Chez Clovis for bone marrow and it's exactly the atmosphere she was looking for. She's called me twice since last night to talk about about it...clearly a happy carnivore!

I found an English-language article about Chez Clovis that mentions Chez Denise and Aux Tonneaux and now she's set her sights (or stomach) on those as well.

I'll post an update when we get back. Thanks again for your help.

Maureen

http://www.ytic.com/default.asp?ArtID=194&RPID=0

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Julie,

<b>Thank you!</b>

My in-laws LOVED everything about Chez Clovis: the food, the atmosphere, and their waiter who was especially helpful. Since my in-laws don't speak French and the waiter only understood a little English, ordering was interesting. It took my MIL a few minutes to convince him that she wanted bone marrow but of course once she devoured her dish he was very pleased. She also had Pot au Feu and my FIL had a pork dish with amazing potatoes that he also loved.

Julie, I can't thank you enough for helping me find this restaurant. It was exactly what my MIL imagined a Paris bistro to be and it was definitely a highlight of their trip.

Kind regards,

Maureen