Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pyrenees - Nuria - Ribes - Vic: any information?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

We are planning our September trip to Barcelona and I wonder if anyone has visited any of the following?

Our plan is to go from Barcelona to Girona, two nights, then to Vic, two nights, then a day trip to the foothills of the Pyrenees by way of the Rodalies regional train from Vic to Ribes de Freser Enllac, then catch the cog railway up to Nuria. We will have lunch in Nuria and hike a little, then catch the cog train and regional train back to Vic for the night. If I have understood the timetables correctly, this would be a good, feasible day trip, leaving Vic at 11:15 in the morning and returning to Vic at 7:00 pm.

One specific question for anyone who has done this: I assume that “Enllac” which is Catalan for “link” means that you get off the regional train at Ribes and walk over to the little cog terminal, which is the beginning of the cog line up to Nuria. I have looked at the terminal using Google street view and it appears that the little railway terminal is just a few hundred feet from the cog terminal, but it’s hard to get a good view.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 11:53 AM

I've visited all three, Vic, Ribes and Vall de Núria but with a car and not training to Ribes from Vic.
The journey from Ribes on the cog railway, cremallera, is beautiful and makes for a nice day outing. We took it both ways but saw several people hiking back down.
We didn't spend the night in the 3-star hotel there but instead took the Coma del Clot cable car to the viewpooint above, visited the Basilica, took some walks and had lunch, then returned to Ribes.

Yes, that's how I understand Enllac, which is enlace in Spanish and means link. The railway terminal is adjacent to the cog railway.
Now to access Núria, one needs to book the cog railway in advance online.
https://www.valldenuria.cat/en/summer/valldenuria/
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel. I wasn't sure that we could just get off the train and walk over to the cog train terminal. Also, I did not know about the cable car -- that leaves from Nuria, right? Images on the web for the cable car look awesome.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 10:13 AM

Yes, the cable car leaves from Núria and the ride is well worth it!