Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Val de Nuria--how does it compare to the Rockies?

May 13th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

We leave for Spain next week and will be near the Pyrenees. I've read a lot of recommendations for hiking and staying the night in the Val de Nuria, and one of the plans for our trip is to do some hiking and outdoor activities. However, we've spent time hiking in Glacier and the Tetons and the Snowy range in the Rockies, so I want to know if I would be better off spending my hiking time visiting another locale that would give a glimpse of a different culture (what I'm going to Europe for) rather than just visiting another wilderness area, which is what I presume this area is. I guess I should also say that I had the same question several years ago when we visited the High Tatras in Poland and frankly wasn't that impressed there. The parts of our hikes that we found most intersting where we could see or stop in small villages and see the rural farms. We'd probably prefer this over just total wilderness with nice scenery since we can find that a lot closer to home in the US. If you've been to this area, what do you think? Thanks.
May 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM

The Val de Nuria doesn't really compare with the Rockies. This is a popular nature reserve in the Pyrénées Orientales along the border with France. The highest peak is about 2882 meters (9456 FT) above sea level, but you'll find that there are a lot of activities going on in the area in and around the village of Núria.

(http://www.valldenuria.com/)
May 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

So is this just nice mountain scenery then? If we want to see small towns and villages should we look elsewhere and just take a pass on this?
Oct 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I have the same questions/concerns. I would like beautiful snow-capped mountains but with a local feel. I've got 7 days with a starting point of Barcelona.
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:20 AM

bockee,
Depending on the time of the year you're planning on this trip, you can head for Vielha in the Vall d'Aran before heading to the area of Salient de Gallego by way of France. You then head back to Barcelona via Huesca.

Vall d'Aran is a beautiful valley with skiing in the winter and river rafting and mountain biking in the summer. The area around Salient de Gallego is also a skiing area with treking and rock climbing the rest of the year.

It's an interesting drive through the Pyrénées that can easily be done in 7 days.