Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Putney for a short stay - BW Lodge or Premier Inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are thinking about staying in Putney for one night before our son begins his semester at Roehampton University. Also, he will be staying one more night there without us, since he can't check into his dorm any earlier and we need to get back to work. Which hotel would be better for him to spend a day and night alone? He will want to explore the surrounding area, probably by foot, so which has better sights and "feels" more safe?

We will be traveling in London and Paris prior to this, so he'll probably just want some chill time before he begins his study abroad experience, hence the reason to choose Putney!

However, if anyone has another suggestion, I'd love to hear from you!! Thanks in advance!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:06 AM

It's a few years since I lived there, but I don't recall many hotels in the area, maybe one or two B&Bs. Generally speaking, I see no reason why he shouldn't feel safe pretty well anywhere.

For the most part it could be rather dull, but domestically pleasant, in the main residential areas: "sights" aren't really much of an option, except to the dedicated local historian, but he'd probably want to be near Putney High St and the buses up to Roehampton.

If he's interested in history, he can drop into St Mary's Church and look at the display commemorating the "Putney Debates" in the Civil War. Or he could go into town and see pretty well anything London has to offer - for which he will also need to be near Putney High St (for the trains into Waterloo, or the tube from Putney Bridge, just across the river).
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:46 AM
tod

Hi, We spent a lovely 3 days at the Premier Inn some years back now. The rate was good and I wanted to just chill on the banks of the Thames.
Upside: Great walks along the riverside under very old shady trees. Discovered a walled garden and explored it all to ourselves. Hung over the Putney Bridge and watched a boat race in all kinds of flotilla come past. Hotel modern and comfy. Buses running past go up the Kings Road and to Sloan Sq.

Downside: Quite a long tube trip from the hi-life in the middle of London - approx.35min.
Unless you catch a bus or walk over Putney Bridge into Putney itself there is only one immediate pub near the tube stop which is around the corner from the hotel.(as I remember)

I often think I might just like to go back there........to explore the walled garden again. As for a young 'un...Mmmm
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if you have any other suggestions?

We will be coming from Paris via the Eurostar that day, spending one night in the hotel then departing to Heathrow. Our son will spend one more night there, then finding his way to Roehampton to begin his semester. Thanks again!!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Oops, I was forgetting the Premier - and I stayed there for a couple of weeks while I was between houses! Tod has it right about the local amenities, but it is still preferable, in terms of location to the Best Western Lodge, now I look at it. That is a bit of a hike to public transport to get anywhere out of the immediate area (though I think there are buses from there to Roehampton). The Premier is practically on top of a tube station, a bus ride from the (quicker) suburban train service from Putney into Waterloo, and within walking distance of plenty of shops and services in Putney High St (which your son will probably get to know as a student anyway).
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM

The Premier Inn (of which I have fond, rude, memories) is just by Putney Bridge Station. Really you can't miss it. It looks like a nuclear bunker.

It's fine, not flash. Just clean and has the usual stuff you expect in a chain hotel.

Putney itself is full of places to eat and drink - mainly on the other side of the bridge. If you want beer try the Bricklayers. Food - take your pick. The Dogget's Coat and Badge (a pub) can be nice on a sunny evening. The Star and Garter has a nice terrace on the river.

I don't know the "BW". Sorry.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM

BTW I think the "walled garden" is Bishops Palace.

http://www.fulhampalace.org/
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM

The alternative is to stay anywhere in more central London - say along the Piccadilly Line between St Pancras and Heathrow. Anywhere around South Kensington or Gloucester Road will also be on good transport routes to Putney/Roehampton, by District Line (or bus 430 from South Kensington Museums).
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM

BTW Roehampton is beyond vile.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd maybe reconsider staying in Putney. But if you do -- definitely the Premier Travel Inn. The river/pubs are nice, but that is really it IMO

You don't have to stay in Putney to be able to get to Roehampton. Since you are coming in on the Eurostar - PatrickLondon's suggestions for staying along the Piccadilly Line would put you in central London for a bit of sightseeing and countless food/pub choices.

This would much more convenient to St Pancras and give you more options for things to see/do.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Meant to post >><i>This would much more convenient to St Pancras <u>and LHR</u> and give you . . . <<
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!! I will look at places along the Piccadilly Line and the other places PatrickLondon has suggested. I just thought it would make sense to stay by the university and check out the area my son is going to be at for 3 months.

Cholmondley_Warner, why do you say Roehampton is vile? My son looked at quite a few colleges in London and this one seemed like the best choice for him!
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM

It's an enormous council estate packed with scratters.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Translation if needed:

Council Estate = public housing

scratter = lowlife / bum (well, sort of)

You'll have to ask C_W for the specifics
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Oooh, I just learned a couple of new words, thanks!! No worries, my son won't be in that group! He'll be part of the international cohort doling out lots of cash to experience education and life at a London University for a few months!
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
tod

Yes, Cholmondley_Warner that's it - The Bishops Palace had the walled garden!
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:54 AM

CW is exaggerating more than a bit. "Roehampton" covers a number of different council estates (public housing projects) with varying concentrations of perfectly normal people and problem families, surrounding an old village centre, surrounded by public open spaces (Richmond Park, Putney Heath and Barnes Common). Not exactly throbbing with excitement for students, but pleasant enough in parts. The University's main campus is between the village centre and Barnes, but it has other centres (since it grew out of a federation of a number of different teacher training colleges based originally in various grand old residences around the area). I don't think you need worry unduly (put it this way, I've done my share of leafleting and local politicking in the council estates without any trouble, and I am the ultimate speccy wuss).
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:22 AM

Scratters. Mark my words.