Hotel vs. B & B in London

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hotel vs. B & B in London

Am taking DD to Oxford for her Junior Year. We are arriving 5 days early to sight-see London, first visit for Mom and daughter I might add. I cannot decide if we should stay at a B & B located in Vauxhall area or stay at the Premier Inn in Tower Hill area. Any suggestions, advice? The B & B was found through At Home In London, BTW. Thank you.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM

Why just those two options? The Tower Hill Premier Inn is maybe a 6 or 7 minute walk from Tower Hill Underground station and then a fairly long tube ride from most sites.

Vauxhall is south of the river on the Victoria tube line and one has to change at either Victoria or Green Park to get most anywhere.

Neither is very central and it would be difficult to find two places farther apart so it does seem odd to me they are your leading choices.

I frequently stay in Pimlico (across the river from Vauxhall) and stayed a week last year in St Katharine's Marina (near the Tower on the river - loved it) so know both areas and I'm not sure I'd stay in either of your specific options.

But price could make a huge difference- a real deal can partially overcome a less than terrific location.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM

We have used a B&B in Paddington 4 times in the last 6 years. Very central, can walk into Oxford St, Hyde Park etc, good tube connections.
It a lttle place but very cost effective if you are only looking for a bed and good cooked breakfast. Its Albro House on Sussex Gardens
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM

"Paddington . . . Very central"

Paddington really isn't 'central'. There are good tube options - true. But it really isn't walkable to much other than Hyde Park and Marble Arch/Oxford St.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM

If school is not yet in session I suggest the London School of Economics Rosebery Hall. Cheap, clean, and a great breakfast. Families, students, and geezers from around the world. Easy bus ride to the center.

I also stayed near Paddington for a couple of nights. The fact is that London is not really a "walkable" city if you want to see everything. You need the tube, bus, or taxi to get around so it doesn't matter much where you stay. Walking Paris is a far more interesting experience than walking London.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM

Any suggestions, advice?

Yes, niether of the accomodation choices you are looking at. There are 100s well located places to stay in London, and Vauxhall or Tower Bridge are not the best for a first time visitor. To be honest 5 days may sound like alot but London has so much to offer, you'll won't be able to see/do it all. You'll need to be selective in terms of which sights you'd like to see. London is big city, traffic can be bad so don't underestimate how long it can take to get from a to b, especailly if you don't know your way around. Unless you are getting the hotel or B & B for an extremely good price, I'd pass and look elsewhere.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM

"so it doesn't matter much where you stay. Walking Paris is a far more interesting experience than walking London."

Oh -- that isn't my experience at all. Where one stays can make a HUGE difference. Sure - If one sleeps in Paddington they have to take the tube/buses/taxis most everywhere.

But if one is staying -- say near Covent Garden -- they can walk everywhere from Soho, to Trafalgar Sq, to Piccadilly, to the Strand, to about 35 theatres, to the British Museum, to Whitehall, to the southbank, to TKTS, to Somerset House, to LOTS of places.

From Victoria - the Tate, B'ham Palace, Westminster (Cathedral and Abbey), the river and lots of places are w/i reasonable walks.

Of course no location is walkable to everything - but it usually works best to be walkable to something
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies, I had no reason for my 2 choices other than they were available and the price was under $200/night. I understand we will need to take the Tube to get around and will see some things and not everything. Sights we hope to see: Westminster Abbey, British Museum, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Borough Market, and Buckingham Palace.
kiwipete: thanks for suggestion but there is nothing available.
spaarne: nothing available either, but thanks!
janisj: Maybe I need to stay in the Victoria area?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM

The two B&B's we stayed in through AtHomeinLondon were also under $200/night and were more "centrally" located--one in Belgravia (near Picadilly from LHR, near Hyde Park Corner for tube access to everywhere else) and in Bayswater (near Bayswater Tube stop). Perhaps these places weren't available? But I can recommend either of these (the Belgravia one did not have cooked breakfast) and they were certainly more convenient than I think Vauxhall might be.

(Be sure to schedule the Tower first thing one day and Westminster Abbey first thing another day--to avoid crowds. And Borough Market isn't open every day, so make sure it's open when you are there and schedule that first thing, too, through lunch--unless you want tremendous crowds)
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM

Hi; If you consider the Victoria area, this is a nice b&b. Richard www.limetreehotel.co.uk
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM

I've stayed several times at B&Bs in the Bloomsbury area. British Museum right there, can walk to Covent Garden, City, St Paul's, Trafalgar Sq,etc.. Good tube access to heathrow.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM

Either Bloomsbury or Victoria would be much more convenient than Vauxhall or the Tower Hill Premier Inn (or even Bayswater for that matter - though true 'Bayswater' is better than Paddington). Both Victoria and Bloomsbury have a wide selection of budget to moderate B&B hotels.

Belgravia which is between Victoria/Sloane Square/Knightsbridge would also be good.

BUT - it is always a good idea to double (and triple) check actual locations because some definitely misrepresent where they are. Typically, Earls Court hotels claim to be in Kensington/South Kensington - that sort of thing.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM

I'm staying right on Gloucester Rd in South Kensington , right across from the GR tube and with good bus options. I'm paying US$140.00 a night including breakfast at Millenium Gloucester hotel. Lots of shops and services in the area. I always use www.Londontown.com for booking.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Canceled what I had~ Thank you, I feel more focused now, with particular thanks to janisj!