Purifying water bottles--useful???

Jan 15th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Jennifer

Purifying water bottles--useful???

Hello!

I would appreciate any advice on using "instantly" purifying water bottles. They sound too good to be true, so I wonder if they are. I travel to many countries where the water must be avoided (Russia, Mexico, Asia soon), and wonder if they can be trusted. The one I am looking at from TravelSmith contains the "ViruStat™ cartridge".
Thanks so much!!

Jan 15th, 2002, 06:01 AM
c

Hi, Jennifer,my son bought one at a store similar to the Travel Smith for his trip to Nepal and it worked..In Nepal, they fill bottles with their own tap water then sell them as "bottled water" causing much illness in visitors...Good luck and be careful~C

Jan 17th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jennifer

Thanks so much for the recommendation, C! Nice to know it worked for someone

Jan 17th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Lois Gan

Where can I purchase purifying water bottles? Thanks

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:15 AM
ncgrrl

I've seen a bottle by Britta at Linens-N-Things. It has a cartridge but I'm not sure if it's a true purifier. Maybe check out REI or a camping store.

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:17 AM
c

My son got his from a camping store in NY..I think they are fairly easy to find but be sure to check with the sales person regarding how well they work,they sell all kinds, all prices.His was around $100.00.

Jan 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Hal

The water-purifying system the above poster mentioned is geared towards making unsafe water safe to drink. But they cost considerably more than the cheaper variety ($7-14 USD) which simply cleanse some of the obvious tasting minerals and chemicals. The cheaper ones usually use a charcoal filter, which would not protect you from bacteria or anything bad and microscopic. Maybe try a bottled water that is not bottled locally. I believe Evian and Perrier have worldwide reach.

Jan 17th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Bob Brown

There is no such thing in my book as instant purification of water. If you are in a place where you cannot trust the water supply, then that is an absolute fact. You cannot pick and chose which water you trust and which you don't or which contaminants you might suspect. This is simply because you don't know and usually you have no reliable way to find out.

In nations where the public health standards are dubious at best, you are silly to trust the water, period.

The only protection I know of against pathogenic cysts, infectious bacteria, and viruses is to take along a purfication kit that has the chemical agents necessary to kill viruses and also a filter that can catch bacteria as small as 1 micron. But you also have to consider protection against pesticides, herbicides, and heavy metal contamination.

Being an old backpacker, I know that filters have been on the market for several years that will trap most of the larger contaminants. But filters alone don't get the viruses because a virus is so small that it passes right on through the best filters and some cystic contaminants resist treatment. (Some viruses are in the .004 micron range, which is so tiny that no filter I know of can trap them.)

So get a PURIFIER that treats chemically and also filters. In the USA, these devices are regulated and should be reliable.

Earlier, I wrote that if you cannot trust the water, you cannot trust it absolutely. This means you don't play Water Russian Roulette and buy what you think is safe bottled water one day and start treating your water the next. I for one would not trust any water out of a bottle in some countries because you have no idea of where that bottle has been or who filled it. You either filter it all water that goes in your mouth; or you don't filter at all. It only takes one gulp of contaminated stuff to make you sick, and you don't know which bottle it will come out of. So filter everything!
But don't do it like my "friend" ??! He would drink filtered water every time he wanted a drink. But he would then brush his teeth with water he dipped out of the creek and wash his tea cup the same way. We almost came to blows when he used creek water in a cow pasture to mix some freeze dried food.

Whether or not you can trust tea and coffee is a big question because you don't know if the water used to make it was boiled. Just getting water hot is not going to kill off very many organisms. Cola drinks are probably not the answer for your fluid needs because they contain caffeine, which is a diuretic.
It might cause you to lose more water than you gain, thus resulting in a net deficit.