Nombre de couverts

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Ray

Nombre de couverts

I'm working hard to learn the language. I think this means cover charge. I've seen this reference to many restaurants listed as, Nombre de couverts: 40 été - 28 hiver. Do the numbers represent francs or euros? Is this a minimum charge or just the charge to sit down at a table? Thanks.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:13 PM
wes fowler

I think, Ray, that you're looking at the number of tables the restaurant has. 28 in winter (hiver); 40 in summer (ete) which probably means 12 outdoors during fine weather.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:14 PM
jahoulih

Not the number of tables, exactly, but the number of places: i.e., the number of customers who can be seated at any one time.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Fred

It means the number of people. If speaking French, when you make a reservation at a restaurant they will ask - "combien de couverts?" (how many people)? For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Christina

It doesn't literally mean number of people, couvert is French for place setting or place at the table (or it can mean "cover charge"), as Jouhoulih said. For a restaurant, that does end up having the same purpose when it means place setting, but I think it's important to understand what you are saying so you don't think the word "couverts" means people and use it elsewhere in that manner or so you would understand it when used as cover charge in some places. It can be used in other phrases, of course, when "people" wouldn't make any sense (ie, mettre le couvert=to lay the table); it comes from the verb "couvrir" meaning to cover. It is also an adjective meaning covered which is used to describe an overcast sky.