Reload this Page >

Purchasing French Francs

Search

Purchasing French Francs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:44 PM
sam

Purchasing French Francs

I'm going to Paris in two weeks and plan on purchasing some fr.francs in the United States. Would I get better exchange rates in France? Also, do ATMs work differently in France than the United States? Thanks-sam

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:07 AM
up

getting lost - to the top

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:17 AM
Fred

suggest buying a hundred dollars or so of French francs in the U.S. before you leave so you don't have to worrry about getting them at the airport when you arrive. You will need them for a taxi, drink,whatever. Once in Paris there are ATM's all over the place which will give the best exchange rate. Just tap on "English." <BR>[email protected]

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:20 AM
Diane

You may want to check the airport you leave from in the States -- I think I remember seeing kiosks at Washington Dulles airport where you could purchase foreign currency. I agree with the above poster, only bring $100 or so in francs. The ATMs are the way to go for the best exchange rate.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:29 AM
herself

Sam, <BR>I always get my francs at the airport in France. ATM's work the same way. Make sure your debit card is linked to your checking account. You don't get a coice of what account you want to use. Rate is better getting your currency in the host country. <BR>Have fun.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:52 AM
Bob

Your best rate for buying francs in the USA would be a bank. Major banks such as Bank America offer a 1 to 3 day turn around on purchasing your francs. Agree with the post on having some cash with you when you arrive. How much is up to you, some people say $100 I will have $500 or so. Then use your ATM card which must have a 4 position numeric PIN.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
howlandee

I agree with Bob. Always get $500 from Bank of Amercica before leaving - just takes a couple of days for the transaction. We take traveller's checks, but have never used them. We've used the ATM's all over France with no problem and great rates. Have fun! <BR>