Ronda: Hotel San Gabriel or Parador?

Feb 23rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Neva

Ronda: Hotel San Gabriel or Parador?

Both have rooms available. I'm travelling with my elderly mama, who likes both views and authentic smaller hotels. My concern: Which will be easier for her, in terms of location? She uses a cane. Opinions?

Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:02 AM
Patrick

There was a comparison of these two hotels just a couple of days ago which you might want to search. But to answer your question, we stayed at the Parador, and it would be very easy for her. I believe there were a couple of steps at the entrance and not sure of a ramp, but there is a lift inside and one can walk right out on the same level to the edge of the gorge. She can also walk just out the front entrance and be steps from the bridge for more great views. There are also shops and restaurants virtually adjacent to the parador which would require minimum walking. I am not familiar with the San Gabriel, but I do know it is a good bit more of a walk from the center or the bridge.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Maribel

Hi Neva,
As much as I love the charming little San Gabriel, for your Mom I'd go with the Parador. At the San Gabriel, she would have to climb the staircase to reach her room-no elevator, and the hotel is located in the old quarter, "La ciudad" which requires crossing the Puente Nuevo bridge from the Parador and wandering down some 4-5 delightful but "rough on the feet" blocks; it's off Arminan st. That would be tiring for her.
P.S. I'm working on a response to your email; sorry it's taken me so long; was away last wkd- haven't forgotten you and Mom!
Maribel

Feb 23rd, 2001, 11:51 AM
Maribel

Me again,
Oops; I think the San Gabriel does indeed have an elevator...nonetheless, it would still be easier for her, I think, to be in the "new" city rather than in the maze-like Arab quarter, as atmospheric as it is.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 12:06 PM
Neva

Thanks, Patrick and Maribel. It looks like I'll have to reluctantly let go of the San Gabriel, but I'm sure the parador will be fine. Oh, and Maribel, my itinerary has mutated a little since I e-mailed you, so please don't toil too much over it! I'll post the latest version here on the board, with a few of my inevitable questions attached, today or tomorrow. Thanks!