Reload this Page >

Purchasing french francs

Search

Purchasing french francs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:41 PM
sam

Purchasing french francs

I'm going to Paris in two weeks and plan to purchase some fr.francs in the United States. Would I get a better exchange rate in France? Also, do ATMs work differently in France than in the United States? Thanks!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:45 PM
D

I ususally just take enough for day one (taxi from CDG to Paris about 400 FF) and use the ATM after that. A banker has told me that the ATM and VISA rates are the best rate you can get. Any comment?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Caitlin

Do as D suggests and buy some francs to get you through your arrival day. Yes, you will get a better exchange rate in France. ATMs will give you the best rate, provided your bank doesn't charge you exorbitantly (so ask). ATMs do not work differently, and have an English option, but: you need a four-digit PIN in Europe (you can change it at your bank before you go if yours is longer; the keypads don't have letters printed on them, so make sure you know your PIN in numbers; and you will only be able to withdraw from your checking account, not savings. Make sure to notify your bank and credit card companies that you're going overseas to ensure that they doon't stop your "irregular" (i.e., overseas) transactions thinking they're fraudulent.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 02:14 PM
Randy

When I go to Pairs I exchanged $50 or $100 at the Detroit airport (They have a currency exchange booth there)for any necessary expense to get me to my hotel. There is also a bank at CHD where you can exchange money and also ATM's at the CHD. In general, when in Paris try to pay everything with a credit card and you will solve the exchange problem. Of course you will need some cash and I use and ATM, even though they do charge you for the service. I prefer paying the charge rather than carrying around a lot of cash. Using Debit Card in an ATM may elimate the service charge. If you have a debit card, check with the company you have the card to see if there is a charge.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:07 PM
Donna

We always convert about $100 to French Francs before leaving home. The rates are not the best, but not worth quibbling over. After an all night overseas flight, it's better to be able to grab a bottle of water and head straight to the taxi queue, or whatever your means for getting to the hotel, and being on your way. Sometimes, the ATM's at the airport are out of service, or there's a long, long line, or you attempt a withdrawal (given the time difference) when your bank is performing overnight "maintenance" (if you arrive at 9AM, it's 3AM on the East Coast) and you get a message "your bank is not responding". ATM cards are definitely the best way to go for acquiring cash once there. But, it's prudent not to rely on them entirely. You never know when your magnetic strip may get inexplicably "compromised", or your card gets swallowed and you can't retrieve it, etc. At an ATM in France, you're likely to have access only to your "primary" account. And, last I heard, it's best (in some cases essential) to have a 4-digit numeric (no letters, the keypads don't usually have letters) PIN. You should also check with your bank and increase the daily maximum you may withdraw, if necessary. Obviously, at an ATM in France, you receive French Francs, so it's a good idea to know the approximate rate of exchange and how much you wish to withdraw before approaching the ATM. Most, but not all, ATM's offer a choice of languages. There are some, but not many, reports of "mischief" at ATM's. To be on the safe side, make sure no one is within viewing distance of the screen and keypad when you are conducting your transaction (normally, others in line stand WAY back), and do not accept "assistance" from anyone.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:32 PM

to the top <BR>