Pulling may hair out over Renfe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to purchase Ave tickets from Barcelona to Madrid through Renfe's website. I have been trying for a week now but have had no luck. I get as far as entering my credit card information but it always comes back with a message that says something like "Cannot continue due to an error. We apologize." I have called my credit card company to make sure they authorize the transaction (which they assured me they will if they see it go through) and still no luck. I would hate not to be able to get the tickets online due to the huge price break (over 50% off) but I am at the point where it is almost not worth it.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions and/or clever ideas would be most appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:06 PM

Did you read this? - http://tiny.cc/yw8vf
Most especially, probably - point 49 and the highlighted paragraph.

I cannot tell where you are from but some credit cards will never be compatible (and the companies will not take up the additional security procedures which are compatible with RENFE and Europe), so try another card.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM

Also try www.rumbo.es
It is easier to use.
Do not use the English version, do not use Google translator and ensure your CC can be used for purchases outside of your country.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 01:21 AM

I would still like to find out from anyone what rumbo.es charge as their commission per ticket.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM

jetsetterwannabe- I had the same problem when I tried to use Renfe to book tickets from Barcelona to Valencia. I ended up calling them and ordering tickets over the phone. I wasn't excited about giving my credit card information to someone over the phone, but all worked perfectly. I don't have the number on me, but I'm sure you can find it on the website. Good luck, and have a great trip!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 02:38 AM

Have you asked your Barcelona hotel to book the tickets for you?

You are not alone:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tion-grrrr.cfm
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying to my post.

WomBatt, yes, I had the trip advisor article open on another tab as I was making my reservation the first time. I am from Seattle and I used my USAA credit card. I may try my BofA debit card and see where that takes me.

Ribeirasacra, I will keep rumbo.es option open if all else fails. I have used the same card outside the country a number of times and have had no problems. In fact, I used it to book the apartments I'm staying at in both Barcelona and Madrid. Those transactions went without a hitch.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM

If, like the Bank of America Visa Card, USAA doesn't have an agreement with Renfe, then you will not be able to use the card to purchase your tickets. The BofA VISA Debit Card does work once it is verified.

If all else fails, you can try booking your tickets through Petrabax (http://petrabax.com/renfe/). They are now the official USA rep for Renfe.

Note: The number of discounted fares being offered by Renfe online are down quite a bit from last year.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

travelinglife, I thought of calling them as well. If I end up doing that at least it's nice to know you did not have any problems with it.

ekscrunchy, yes, I have asked the company managing the apartment I'm staying at if they could do that. They don't but gave me the number of a company on the east coast (NY, I think) who books train tickets for people.
Thanks too for the link. I don't know how I missed it when I did my initial research on this forum. I did a quick first read of the link and I am hopeful I can get some great information there.

I will keep all of you posted on my Renfe adventure
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you robert2533. I think the petrabax website is the name of the company I was referred to. Do you know if they honor the discounted online fare found at renfe.com?