Search

Puglia, Italy: Matera as a base?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puglia, Italy: Matera as a base?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this...though my trip is really suppose to focus on Northern Italy, I couldn't resist dipping down to Pompeii/Postiano and since I'm already south I also want to visit Matera. Stictly public transportation. These are the surrounding towns I am hoping to visit to make my sojourn into the area worthwhile: Grotte di Castellana, Alberobello and maybe Martina Franca.

Am I deluding myself or is Matera really unreasonable as a base. From Matera it looks like I can head to Taranto in the am, then get to all of these sites via the Taranto/Bari train route. Has anyone tried this? Do you have any better suggestions/bases?

The other thing I really want to see in the area is Castel del Monte, but don't quite see how to get it in without heading all the way to Bari then on to Andria and <i>then</i> catch the Andria Spinazzola train....yikes.

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,

Murphy
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

ah murphy

I wish I could help but please post a report if you go. This is the land that my family comes from and I would love to hear about it.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Puglia is best explored in a car. Train and bus services are very limited. How many days are you planning on for seeing Puglia? It might make more sense to base yourself in Alberobello where you can get bus service to the grotte and Martina Franca, and only stop in Matera on route from Positano to Puglia.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Shall do tuscanlifedit - I am supposed to be finishing my Greece trip report, but I couldn't help cracking the new guide books for my Italy/Croatia trip

Thanks Grinisa! I don't think I'll devote more than 5 days to the area - I'll need to hussle back up north as that is really where I want to focus my attention. I am solo and really need to be careful about budget...so am hoping to avoid a car rental. Staying in Alberobello is an idea - I don't know if I can &quot;stop by Matera&quot; though. I will have my backpack and wont be releived of it until I get to a hotel (unless there are lockers at Taranto's train terminal?). Also I heard Matera was quite special in the evening. Perhaps I should just stop and stay a night then move on.

Have you seen Castel del Monte? I could try to stay in Bari or Andria if it is really worthwhile - niether is of paritcular interest, but I do love castles.

Thanks again,

Murphy
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Yes, I've visited the castle and it is not easy to get to without a car. We stopped there en route from Monopoli to Mattinata on the Gargano Peninsula. It's worth a stop if you are in the area but I don't think I'd spend a night in Bari or Andria just to be able to see it. Puglia is delightful and BIG. When we visited, we divided our stay between north and south, basing in Monopoli and then on the Gargano. Even with ten days, we didn't really scratch the surface, and we had a car.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Ginisa. I was afraid you'd say that...looks like I should shell out for a car or perhaps just go to Matera for two nights then backtrack through Naples/Rome and leave the rest of Puglia for another trip.

Good Travels,

Murphy
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I agree ! Seeing Puglia without a car will be very tough, and Matera is not a good base--too isolated.