Puglia and Southern Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have commented on this board occasionally and have really enjoyed reading about others' travelling expereinces. Unfortunately, I have been a little shy with posting my own detailed experiences, especially since most of you have already been there. In addition, since I have been fortuante enough to have visited a lot of Italy already I know that the tips given here are excellent, so with that being said.....

My husband and I will be travelling to Puglia and Southern Italy departing in mid-February and returning mid-March of 2006. We would love to know of any must see sights, excursions, wineries, towns, great restaurants, etc. I have done a lot of research already so I would love to hear from the lucky ones who have already expereinced the area. Our planned itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Boston to Bari, drive to Fasano
3 nights - Fasano, Masseria Marzalossa
3 nights - Ostuni, Il Frantoio
3 nights - Lecce, Patria Palace
2 nights - Marconia, Agriturismo San Teodoro
2 nights - Matera, Locanda di San Martino
4 nights - Paestum, Seliano
3 nights - Ravello, Villa Maria (We have spent extensive time in Ravello and the AC in the past)
5 nights - Rome, Hotel Piranesi
Fly home, Rome to Boston

Any feedback on the accommodations above is greatly appreciated as well. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

I have some restaurant information in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:10 PM

Disregard my ealier response. Here's the real thread sbout the restaurants:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34710675
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM

Here is a link to what is probably the longest thread about Basilicata:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1300139
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Danielle:

Three years ago, my sister, mom, and I stayed at the Seliano estate for 2 nights. It was very cool. My mom speaks an Italian dialect, so she stayed at the kitchen and helped the cooks make homemade pasta. My sister and I checked out the ruins. Very impressive. Our rooms were in an older building, but newly redone. Some of the other buildings had rooms a little dated. The dinner was fabulous and it was alot of fun meeting the other travelers.

We then headed inland and south to Moliterno to find our roots. This is the town my grandparents left in 1904 to come to America. We found our cousins and had lunch, exchanged family info.

We really loved the Seliano estate and I would stay there again. 4 days in the area may be too many. On your way from Matera, you may want to check out a few of the small towns in the Potenza province, or head to Maratea on the western coast.

Good luck on your trip.

MY
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

bill boy - thank you for the restaurant info. I have printed it out and will take it with us as we are looking forward to your suggestions!

Eloise - thank you for the info. as well, I plan to read through it this weekend.

Michelle Y - thank you for the commentary on Seliano, I have heard mixed reviews so I appreciate your input greatly. I had planned four days in the area in order to do justice to Paestum, participate in a cooking course and to explore the coast south of this area. Do you still think this might be too much time?

Thanks again for your help and everyone's suggestions. I promise to write a trip report on my return in March!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Danielle:

Paestum is not very big and you could see it and the museum across the street in an afternoon. It was really lovely when we visited in October, late afternoon. I can't help you with the coast in the area or any other sites, but you have time to research. Perhaps the guys at the Seliano estate could suggest day trips.

Good luck,

MY