Search

Puffins

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puffins

We are planning a trip to Ireland. I really want to go to see puffins. We plan to be in Dublin, Cork, Killarney, Limerick, and Galway. Where would be the best place and tour to take to see puffins. We will be traveling in May 2019.<br /><br />Any suggestions or tours and/or tour companies would be appreciated. In addition, Any hotel suggestions in the cities would be great. We plan to take trains between the cities and then use public transportation or tours to get out to countryside.<br /><br />Any information on the train in Ireland would be appreciated too. Is there a place in the trains to store luggage ?? We have used trains extensively in France so assuming it will be similar in Ireland.<br /><br /><br /><br />
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Puffins are only on land during the summer months--May is probably too early, but check one of the Puffin sites for more information.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/the-puffins-are-back/ We took the ferry underneath the cliffs one time and they were everywhere. My favorite bird. I love to watch them fly.
My suitcase fits fine above the seat on the train. USAL on trip advisor has great threads on public transportation which we only do now. Galway tour company is excellent s well as wild rover for day tours. When in Dingle there are many tour companies available to pick from. Go for the smaller buses. In Cork you can take the train to Midleton, Cobh and the bus to Kinsale.

I always recommend Buswells in Dublin or Harding hotel by Christ Church. We are more airbnb or apartment people but stay center in Galway close to the bus station as they have day tours leaving from there.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Macross - Thank you for the suggestions . Do you happen to have a link to the Galway Tour Company. Our current plan is to visit the following cities
Dublin - 2 nights upon arivial
Cork - 4 nights
Killarney - 4 nights
Limerick - 4 nights
Gallway - 4 nights
Dublin - 4 additional nights

We fly from the east coast to Ireland, so the first two nights are just to get us set on the new time zone. Any suggestions on the amount of nights in the cities above are welcome - too many or not enough.
I usually travel with a wheeled suitcase, and in previous train trips in France, the luggage went at the end of the car so hopefully we can do the same.

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 05:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher & Connemara with Galway Tour Company Don't let anyone say six nights in Dublin are too many as there is so much to see and do there. You can take the dart train up and down the coast. Glendalough day trip is excellent. Luas and buses are good there. Buy the leap card. Maybe one less night in Limerick and add to Galway so you can take the ferry to see the Aran Islands.