Ireland - Cities and trains .... oh and Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our trip to Ireland for May/June 2019. So far our itinerary is as follows:

Charlotte NC to Dublin - Stay in Dublin for for 2 nights - Holiday Inn Express Dublin City
Fly to Aberdeen Scotland - Travel to Gardenstown to visit friends for 4 nights fly back to Dublin
Train from Dublin to Cork - Cork for 3 nights - Imperial Hotel
Train from Cork to Killarney - Killarney for 3 nights - Do a ring of Kerry Tour - Scott's Hotel
Train from Killarney to Limerick - Limerick for for 3 nights - Savoy Hotel
Train from Limerick to Galway - Galway for 4 nights - Want to do a Cliffs of Mohr tour - Park House Hotel
Train back to Dublin - Stay in Dublin 5 nights - Holiday Inn Express Dublin City

I know going to Scotland in the middle seems strange, but the flying is actually easier to do round trip from Charlotte to Dublin and a separate flight to Scotland. and we get a free place to stay in Scotland -- Plus visit our great friends

Questions/ Suggestions
Traveling by train in Ireland - are the reliable ? Can we put our luggage at the end of the cars like in France ( TGV) ? Should I book tickets in advance or just buy day of ?
Time in each city - Too little or too much ?
Ring of Kerry Tour - would like a private tour - suggestions on the company
Cliffs of Mohr - want to see Puffins - is this a good time of year - suggestions on which company to use .
Husband is a Whiskey lover -Suggestions on distilleries or tours to take and in which cities .
Other suggestions of things not to miss

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 12:25 PM

We just took the train from Dublin to Cork (and back about 8 days later) about 2 weeks ago. We just purchased the tickets at the station. I don't know how cheap purchase in advance would be, but I didn't want a time deadline. I don't know about general reliability, but ours were on time. Our carry on bags fit on the luggage rack above the seats. If you have bigger bags, I think there is room at the end of the car, but hopefully someone else can confirm, as we didn't need it.

If you are staying in Killarney, we really enjoyed our tours of Muckross House and Ross Castle, and the boat trip to Innisfallen Island in the lake, which departs from Ross Castle. These places are outside the main town. I do not know if there are buses there as we rented a car.

We loved Ireland and now hope to get back for Christmas! Have fun planning!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 12:34 PM

See www.seat61.com for lots on Irish trains and booking - and trains are like any European train.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Midleton is the best for a distillery tour. Teeling in Dublin. I have gone to Killbeggan for their tour and Tullamore but Midleton and Teeling are real distilleries.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 03:13 AM

Check times and book online at Ireland rail travel information - Iarnród Éireann - Irish Rail

Fares are a lot less if you book in advance and on most routes any seat reservations are included.

It's not a high speed network and mostly radiates from Dublin with a few cross-country services. Trains are smart and new and usually reliable (like everything else, except when they are not)
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 04:14 PM

Thank! I'll follow your advices.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 05:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Flying to Scotland from Dublin is good for us. We did a couple of nights one trip in Dublin and flew early morning to EDI and stayed several days and then came back to Ireland for rest of our trip. It was cheaper also. Trains are good there. Grab a sandwich and drinks from Marks and Spencer as the ones on the train are iffy.