Search

Advice needed: Ireland on my own or tour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed: Ireland on my own or tour

Hello,

I'm going to Ireland for the first time in April for 10 days (and then 8 days in Scotland) by myself. I'm flying in and out of Dublin.

Though I've travelled quite a bit around the world without the use of tours, etc. I'm debating if I should take a tour of Ireland because of the short amount of time I have. That and the fact that I don't want to drive (I can't a manual and I'm used to driving on the right side), I think I'd be an accident waiting to happen.

I've found a 6 day tour that seems to be what I'm looking for and I don't think I'd be able to see this much by myself. I'm planning to use the remaining 3.5 days to see Dublin and surrounding areas on my own.

I haven't booked the tour yet but I would like to get your opinions. I have copied and pasted the tour - could I see this much on my own (via coach) or should I just stick with this tour, seems pretty decent to me. It's 189 GBP and includes all transportation, accomodations, entrance fees, breakfast and pickup from hostel the first day :
=========
We concentrate on the highlights of the four corners of Ireland and visit them in a detailed fashion.

Day 1

Dublin – Drogheda – Belfast – Giants Causeway

Departing Dublin we drive North. Before the border we stop at the historic town of Drogheda on the River Boyne, scene of the bloody battle in 1690. We visit St. Peters Cathedral and view the fully preserved head of St. Oliver Plunkett, decapitated in 1681.

Onwards to Belfast, birthplace of the Titanic, where we were explore all the political, cultural and historical sites in this amazing city. A world famous Black Taxi tour (optional) can take you to see the tragic ‘peace walls’ and the colourful political wall murals of the Protestant/Loyalist Shankill area and the Catholic/Republican Falls Road.

Our overnight stay is in musical Ballintoy beside the Giants Causeway, a short drive away from Belfast nestling peacefully in the glorious, green Glens of Antrim.

Day 2

Ballintoy – Derry – Donegal

After an enjoyable night singing in Ballintoy, our first daunting task this morning is to cross the Carrick a rede swinging rope bridge (seasonal). Soon after we can reflect on the crossing when sitting on the eight wonder of the world, the Giants Causeway. A photostop at Dunluce Castle, ancestral home of the Antrim MacDonnell Clan, and on to the historic walled city of Derry or Londonderry where we take a guided tour of the City walls and bogside area, scene of Bloody Sunday in 1972.

Time allowing we visit Grianan Aileach, the glorious ancient coronation site of the Kings of Uster. Tonight we stay in Bundoran in Donegal, the home of Enya and the venue for the World Surfing championships in 2004!

Day 3

Donegal – Sligo – Connemara – Galway

Into the west! Maybe begin your day by immersing yourself in a luxurious, Victorian seaweed bath? (optional).We visit the grave of WB Yeats our National Poet and Nobel Prize-winner, before we take in the Town of Sligo home of the almost equally famous boyband – Westlife!

Amazing scenery around us as we journey through the ‘famine way’ and through Connemara National Park. Tonight trendy Galway, Irelands Party town is our base to explore the West of Ireland.

Day 4
Galway – the Burren - Cliffs of Moher - Killarney

Sadly we leave Galway behind us, though the Kingdom of Kerry awaits, Happy Days! A relaxing coastal drive around Galway Bay takes us to visit the lunar landscape of the Burren and the majestic Cliffs of Moher in West Clare.

We cross the River Shannon by Ferry and into the rolling green farmland and lofty mountains of Kerry. A beautiful aspect of this tour is our 2 night stay in lively Killarney in Irelands South West. We can relax together, learn Irish set dancing, tour the world famous Ring of Kerry and lose ourselves in a world of breathtaking scenery, leprechauns and shamrocks.

Day 5

Ring of Kerry Tour

Today we concentrate a full day on the most wonderful scenic drive in Western Europe – The Ring of Kerry! Your guide will enchant you with the legends and stories of the Kingdom of Kerry as you cruise through this emerald paradise. Hike up the Gap of Dunloe, storm the peninsula’s pre-historic Celtic stone fortresses, and visit the National Park and Torc Waterfalls, before returning to Killarney to party with the Irish!

Day 6

Killarney – Blarney Castle – Cork – Cashel – Kilkenny - Dublin

Our final day includes kissing the Blarney stone, perched at the top of the lovely Blarney Castle. We drive through the Golden vale of Tipperary listening to our guide sing ‘its a long way’! Take a guided tour of the Rock of Cashel before lunch and perhaps have a glass of Kilkenny in Kilkenny before we return via the Curragh plains(remember the Braveheart battle scenes?) en route to Dublin. Possibly the most action packed 6 days the independent traveller can ever have?

This tour is wtih Paddywagon
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM

I have never taken a packaged tour as I like to plan my own trip . Small automatic cars are very available and most people get the hang of driving on the left in about an hour. My only comment about your proposed tour can be summed up by looking at day 6, Killarney, Blarney Castle, Cork, Cashel, Kilkenney, Dublin. Do you actually stop at all these place or just drive through?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Paddy Wagon tours appeal to the backpacking/hiking/hostel crowd. Looking over the tour briefly, I think it really packs a lot into each day. You will be exhausted unless you are a go-go-go 20 something person that is high on caffeine and adrenaline.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM

You might find this useful. It's a link to a solo tour of Ireland, from a few years back:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34373959

Bob
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I think it would be very tough to have a "detailed tour of the four corners of Ireland" in 6 days. I guess tours are right for some people and sure, you never have to deal with getting lost (my favorite part) and your driver takes to right to the place to jump out for the sights but still.

John nailed with the day six itinerary. To see Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin in the same day means that you drive right through them. The trip through Donegal is not much better. I've always thought the Paddywagon green blur tours were a bit insane. Some people love them though.

If you've traveled around the world without the use of tours, I think you'll be fine in Ireland. Consider flying into Shannon and then out of Dublin to Scotland. You can get a RT that is open jaw into Shannon and out of Dublin and then take one of the smaller airlines into Scotland. Ryan Air flies into Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. It's possible to get RT from Dublin for less than E10.00 + taxes.

Arriving in Shannon and getting used to the roads there is much easier than arriving in Dublin. You could enjoy the SW and easily make it into Dublin for as many days as you need. You could also go a bit north.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies but I have to remind you all again that I'm there for a very limited time and my flights are already booked so I can't fly into Shannon.

If I had more time then I would see Ireland on my own. THE ONLY REASON WHY I'M THINKING OF TAKING A PACKAGED TOUR IS BECAUSE OF TIME LIMITATIONS.

When I travel on my own I do backpack and stay at hostels (and I am in my 20s) so I think the paddywagon tour will be ok in that sense.

Like I said, I do prefer to travel on my own but given time constraints, accessibility and expense I thinik it's probably better to do a tour.

The tour does not include Dublin, I will be seeing that on my own. The start and end points are from Dublin.

The whole idea behind these tours is to see much as possible in a limited amount of time (which is my goal)...people have to understand and respect that concept instead of thinking how they would do things and take into consideration people's limitatons (i.e. time, not wanting to drive).

My original inquiry was if I was able to see this much on my own via coach.

ItalianChauffer thanks for the link - that's one of the reason why I don't want to drive! I'd not only be putting my life in danger, but others as well...all for what?
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

If I don't take the tour and given that I have 9.5 days to travel via coach or by foot, where would you suggest I go.

Belfast and Dublin are must and I really do want to see Dingle and Cork...would I be able to manage this on my own for 10 days?

I'm flying in and out of Dublin.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
CU

Have you seen www.cietours.ie
You can also get a discount ticket to travel all around Ireland on the bus network. (www.buseireann.ie)
Also www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp might help.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM

oceania,

We do respect your concept but who knew what that really was from your first post? Now you have added extra info and people know what you want.

Everyone has their own style of travel and those on this forum will give you their own personal ideas and how they like to travel. Instead of being disappointed in those answers you should be glad to get very diverse ideas so you can gather as much info as you need.

It is up to you to pick those answers apart and choose the info that best applies to you. After all, only by doing a lot of research can you find things out.

In your original post you did not mention that you were in your 20s and wanted to pack as much into a day (and night) as humanly possible. If that is your traveling style go for it.

I remember a while back there was a young woman here who wanted a very quick drive through of Ireland. She did not want to stop and see anything but just drive, drive, drive. She did it and drove like mad all over Ireland. Everyone told her to slow down but that was not her style. She did her own thing and enjoyed it. Most people choose not to travel like that but some do and you may be someone who likes that type of tour immensely.

Be thankful for the wonderful people here who take the time to freely share with others.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

IrishEyes I did and do thank you all for your replies and do appreciate it and apologize if I came across ungrateful.

To my knowledge, I haven't added any extra info except my age, which I didn't realize would be such a factor.

I did state:
- I didn't want to drive
- I'm there for a short amount of time (10 days)
- I'm flying in and out of Dublin
- that I have travelled quite a bit solo
- and that by considering such a compact tour that I would want to see as much as possible

This was all from my initial post.

I do appreciate the your replies, really I do. I'm not disappointed but rather frustrated, not at any of you but just b/c I'm hearing conflicting things and can't seem to get anywhere.

I don't want to spend my entire time in Ireland stuck on a bus and if this is what this tour is about then I will most definitely re-think booking it. I really do prefer travelling on my own instead of a packaged tour.

Maybe I should re-ask my question. I have less than 10 days in Ireland, what you recommended I see in that time? Do you have a itinerary that you can suggest? I really would like to see Belfast (and Cork if possible) but since they are at opposite ends I am willing to skip one in order to enjoy the other, instead of rushing to see both.

Again, I thank you for your responses.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I would choose cork over Belfast, but thats just a personal thing.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Wow, what alot packed into one tour! Being at the other end of the age spectrum it would seem too much to take in, but then you can likely take it. The problem is covering too much territory, including Belfast et al in the north really does extend your coverage area when you also add the west country. Little time to relax in pubs and listen to trad music or wander through castles and museums!

Maybe you should just concentrate on certain places to especially see, depending on interests. Certainly there is indeed plenty in Dublin and also you could add a day trip south to Glendalough (or north to Boyne Valley/passage graves if not on the tour). Also might look into cietours as mentioned. We ourselves often take conducted tours as well as travel independently.

ozarksbill
(Elderhostel program plus on our own in Dublin & Killarney in 2001)
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Belfast to Ballintoy, a short drive ? It's about 2 hrs. Day 6 is minimum 6 hrs travelling, you'll be so exhausted you may not have any energy left to enjoy the country. I suggest you take one or two sectons of the country and do them at your leisure. Whether you go north, south, east or west, each part has plenty to see and do. Ryanair do cheap flights from Dublin to Cork, check www.ryanair.com. It's about an 1hr flight which beats the 4+ hr bus journey or expensive train journey. I know you've said you don't wish to drive, but this really is the best way to see the country.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

I like getting a feel of a country through it's history and culture. I tend not to use my time drinking/partying when I travel but going to historical sites, musuems, etc. However, b/c this is a big part of the Irish culture I do plan to visit a few pubs (probably in Dublin).

I don't know why, but I really want to go Belfast so maybe just doing the top triangle of Ireland. Dublin- Belfast- Derry- Donegal- Galway-Dublin?

Or I suppose I could do Dublin- Galway-Killarney-Cork-Killkenny-Dublin?

Ok let's say I do hire a car, how much is to hire an automatic for a week?

Generally, what time does the sunrise and set in the beginning of April?

I'm at such odds :-S
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I received this message from the Paddywagon:

Tour generally has 20 people

Aged generally between 20and 35

We do not provide full itineries as we are a flexible world famous backpacker company and do not run schoolbus type tours,we prefer the free spirit,
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM

If they are the backpacker types and are not rushing you past all of the sites, then you may want to go with them. I was in Northern Ireland in September and rented a manual, but the price of an automatic was about $1000.00 for 13 days. Visiting Derry is okay, but it's a pain to drive through(have 2 aunts that live there). Donegal is beautiful but very desolate. You have to see Mt. Erigal if you go there. The locals call it Erigal Hill. Belfast is a beautiful city and worth a full day's worth of walking as is Dublin. I would say that you should split the time between the south and the north, or pick one or the other if you're going to drive. Blarney castle is worth a couple of hours as is the Ring of Kerry. The package tour sounds like the way to go if you want to see all of that without getting lost while you're driving. If they go to Armagh, make sure to visit St. Patrick's Trian. There's a gift shop just as you enter the ground floor on the right that's fabulous. His prices are reasonable and he is very friendly and helpful.

Maureen
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM

My dear oceania

Please plan your trip to suit yourself and have fun. Your last post has a ring of truth, Ireland does have a pub culture, however I do not believe you will experience that in Dublin. If you can get off the beaten path and meet some real Irish folks, you will not regret it. It is possible to rent a very small carfor a week for under $300.00 a week inclusive. In any event have fun
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM

ocania -

I went by myself to Ireland last year. I didn't want to drive either (and am glad I made that decision!) so I did it all by buses, trains, planning the whole thing myself. If I were to do it again, I would take a tour. I was forever on buses trying to get where I wanted to go, and on Sundays it's almost impossible to travel anywhere off the beaten track. Do what works for you, but for me - next time in Ireland it's either with someone who will drive, or with a tour.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

LOL!! That's funny to have received these last 2 comments because I have decided to forget the Paddy wagon tour and go myself.

I was reading someone's blog from his trip on the 6 day all Ireland tour with Paddywagon and decided that's not somethign I want to do, here's the blog http://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Ireland/blog-3111.html

From the description of Belfast, not sure if I should spend my precious 10 days in Ireland visiting there.

Can someone recommend where I can visit in 10 days please? So far I've been suggested to go 1. aran islands 2. galway 3. Connemara

I prefer to take public transportation but I'm now willing to hire a car (I will be doing this in Scotland, where I head after Ireland).

I arrive in Dublin on Mar 30 at 12 pm and leave out of Dublin on Apr 8 in the evening...I might even consider cancelling my return flight so I can depart from another city if it's not too much hassle or expense.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Just for others experience and pictures I would like to go to Cliffs of Moher and Dingle as well.

As you probably can very well tell, I'm very indecisive and God knows how many more times I will change my mind...I do this with almost EVERY trip, but in the end it's always worth it...haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -