Puerto Banus, Spain info?

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Banus, Spain info?

Hello, all - my husband is putting together a golf trip in 2012 to the Costa del Sol area. I had suggested he just form a guy's trip, but it's turning into couples. I do love Spain, and since he's agreed we can wander Seville/Cordoba/Barcelona area afterwards, I'm happier being part of this. But just wondering - Puerto Banus area (near Marbella) in April is probably quite nice? Any of you been in that area? He's looking at villas, probably 4 - 6 couples going along. Any experiences or info would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 03:21 AM

Puerto Banus is where the rich and famous used to play, but not so much these days. There are still Ferraris and Lamborghinis, Bentleys and Rollers around, but in the main celebrity spotting has moved elsewhere.

There are lots of bars and restaurants selling average food, the odd one quite good. It's a busy place and prices aren't cheap. It's OK for a short break and there are some good hotels round and about. Villas will be exepensive, especially the larger one that you will need. try:

http://www.villarenters.com/rent-vil...n/puerto-banus

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/puerto-banus/s/953/fa

www.villas-puerto-banus.co.uk

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/puerto-banus.htm

Other fine rental websites are available!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Lifeman! I'll give my husband this info to look at - ogling the rich and famous had actually been a "dis"-interest of mine, so if they're not there, that's fine! just good friends, good golf for the guys, good weather and the chance for good Spanish food are the real incentives (okay, I'm out of order: the first three on that list should all be golf! ha!) he's actually seeing some deals on villas that DO look inexpensive, if you divide by 4 or 5 couples - I've been surprised, actually, although April is not high season, I gather.
Again thanks and if anyone else has opinions/info, it's appreciated!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM

"I do love Spain"

Puerto Banus is "probably quite nice".

With Seville and Puerto Banus you are comparing Savannah, GA to West Palm Beach. Both are a great experiences at different ends of the spectrum.

Be prepared for a visit to "The South of England with sun". I have to say that the coast between Malaga and Gibraltar is my least favourite in the world. The are large areas where English is the de facto language and where many of the residents retired there 20 odd years ago and haven't progressed past "hola".

However, I would back up Lifeman in that if you are looking for nothing more than a relaxing break, with golf, good weather it is a good choice.

Malaga is totally Spanish and has some great architecture, bull ring and good Spanish eating.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I know, I'm prepared to be less-impressed with this area (we honeymooned 18 years ago in Costa Blanca, and never met other Americans, and DH is a retired Navy pilot who spent lots of time flying to and traveling around Spain). But, as I mentioned, the top 3 attractions are golf, golf, and more golf! He did look at Malaga, but says there's fewer courses in that area; however, with both of you indicating this area's not as neat, I may ask him to re-look. Also, we'll travel through other parts of Spain without the clubs afterwards for at least 10 days - that's buying me off! Again, I totally appreciate this feedback!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

humptynumpty: And Malaga is not that far away, either, for an evening of good food - we are definitely not going over there to eat non-Spanish foodstuffs!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Snap!

We honeymooned in Alora (40 miles north of Malaga) 21 years ago. It was 105oF for two weeks and we made it to the Costa Del Luz at a time when there was one hotel on each beach, they trained the bulls for fighting on the beach and tuna eaten fresh out of the sea. Remember wandering round Cadiz watching the Berbers traders from North Africa cart sheep, goats, food, anything saleable (unsaleable) through the streets.

Memories are one thing that can't be "air passenger taxed" out of existence....

or am I just sounding old.

I understand you approach to a relaxing break, we have recently given trying to regsiter on the cultural/natural history scale. With a 5 year old, we have just booked 2 weeks in Sardinia to put our feet up!