Pubs near Travel Inn County Hall London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the nearest "cheap eat'' ( good value) to Travel Inn County Hall London. Looking for a pub but other suggestions very welcome.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:59 PM

Use fancyapint.com to see pubs near Waterloo, Lambeth North, or Westminster tube stations. Some food reviews included.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:35 PM

Lavender-you may not be interested but I thought I'd throw this in...we stayed with 8 friends at the Travel Inn during the summer of 2001. One evening we ended up *having* to have dinner in their restaurant much to my chagrin-we just did not have time for anything else that night. Was I surprised to have a wonderful dinner in a pleasant restaurant-and the whole group thought so too! Also, the hotel does have a bar but we just used it one night meeting some others in our little group before heading up to our rooms.
Anyway, its there if you need it.
Shadow
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:26 AM
tod

lavender - we never saw any nice "cheap Eateries" near Travel Inn County Hall and also ended up eating in their restaurant which was pretty decent for the price. We did however splurge out one evening at the chinese restaurant in the Mariott but the food wasn't any better than places in China Town or Queensway. Don't forget Waterloo station is within walking distance but you'll have to settle for Burger King or something from the coffee bar.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:01 AM

On The Cut (which is the name of a road, as unlikely as it sounds) which is close to Waterloo Station (and near Southwark tube station) , there are a few excellent places to eat.

The Anchor & Hope is a gastro pub - so slightly more expensive than your average pub but infinately better grub. You can't book and it's popular, so get there early.

Meson Don Felipe is a true spanish tapas bar that looks like its been ripped out of a side street in Seville and plonked into the centre of London. Very authentic, very cheap and VERY popular. Get there early and be prepared to queue, it's worth the wait. I think you can book a table as well, which is worth it.

Tas is an excellent modern Turkish/mediterranean sort of place. Also very cheap and very popular. There's a small chain of them scattered on the south side of the river.

There's also a decent fish restaurant on The Cut called Livebait, although perhaps not as cheap as you're looking for.

You can look all these places up, and more in the area, by registering on www.hardens.com (registration is free).

And I don't know why anyone eats in that awful overpriced tourist trap of a chinese restaurant in County Hall.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM

Maybe some people just don't venture out much, but there are a LOT of decent places all along the southbank and in Southwark and you will only be a short walk across the river to more pubs and cafes.

Besides Kate's good suggestions, the ground floor cafe at Tate Modern is inexpensive. The upsatirs one has great views but is more expensive.

Avoid the Chinese restaurant (Four Regions) at all costs. It has a great setting and views - but the food is bad and quite overpriced.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM

We had dinner at the Four Regions in February and thought the food was pretty good and reasonably priced for London. We'd go back.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM

Kate's recommendations are good. Also in the area I would recommend a couple of others on The Cut:

The Windmill and The Ring - both pubs that serve cheap good Thai food.

There's also a good noodle bar called Culture Grub

As Kate said Tas is good but they have also opened a large complex at 97 - 99 Isabella Street SE1 (just off The Cut -down the side street by the Anchor and Hope) which contains a wine bar, deli and restaurant. www.tasrestaurant.com/

Pizza Paradiso at 61 the Cut

On Waterloo Road are:
The Fire Station at 150 Waterloo Road. Large modern restaurant with very busy bar in, of course, a converted fire station.

Masters Superfish - a very good eat in traditional fish and chip shop at 191 Waterloo Road - very popular with taxi drivers

Thai Silk at 103 Waterloo Road opposite Waterloo Station and next to Sainsburys. Very reasonable lunch and early evening set menus.

Cubana - just round the corner from the Fire Station - very good cocktails and happy hours. www.cubana.co.uk

On Blackfriars Road is a good Polish restaurant Baltic. Have a good early evening pre theatre menu deal. www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/

On Cornwall Road (just off Waterloo Rd opposite the Station) is the White Hart which is a new trendy pub serving good food

This is just a small selection for more restaurants and bars etc have a look at the local website www.london-se1.co.uk

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM

We had dinner at Thai Silk one night and we enjoyed it very much.

We didn't notice that there was a set menu, though - maybe we arrived too late. It was quite busy when we arrived.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM

lavender: It's been a while since we were there (3 years), so others can chime in to correct/update me. We found the area around the Inn to be spare. Although in the middle of the city, the area was kind of isolated, hemmed in by a drab square, a strip mall, and construction. For all I know there were pubs and restaurants on the other side of that strip mall but there certainly wasn't much in the immediate vacinity. There are more options closer to Waterloo, though. And the Inn had a pub that was just ok. Unless things have changed, a 10ish minute walk is probably needed to get to a variety of restaurant options. Please, other posters, correct me if the area has changed significantly.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions and detailed replies.