Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provide comments on Cosmos and Trafalgar's tours

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 05:55 PM
Marilyn Awkerman

I am considering a 16 day tour of France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland. Please provide comments on your experience with Cosmos and Trafalgar's.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 12:42 AM
Tricia

Marilyn, Was just in www.ricksteve's.com website and there was a specific topic on tours. I just glanced at it but saw it offered a rating of different companies, not sure if yours was among them. Also browe through June and July's comments in travel lounge as I have seen comments on different tours. Also try surfing the net.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 03:08 PM
Donna

We've taken one Trafalgar tour (so far) and everything was wonderful. Reviewed similar offerings of Cosmos and Globus which are less expensive. However, the Trafalgar hotels are nicer and much better located. All in all we thought our tour was an excellent value for the dollar.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 03:59 PM
Heather

I've been on five different Trafalgar Tours in England and Europe. I think I went on the 16 day one that you are looking at. Trafalgar is a very good tour company. Some of the hotels they stay in are fantastic. One hotel we stayed at in the Italian Lakes was $300 a night! I certainly wouldn't be staying there unless I was on a tour. Trafalgar Tours are heavily marketed in the Commonwealth countries so expect to travel with a lot of Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. The thing I liked about Trafalgar is they don't herd you around like sheep all the time. You go as a group to certain sites then you are on your own to explore what you want. Tours are a great way of seeing places for the first time then you can decide which places you want to go back to when you have more time. Just be prepared for long days and some long drives on a couple of days. Have fun.

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 04:03 PM
Heather

I've been on five different Trafalgar Tours in England and Europe. I think I went on the 16 day one that you are looking at. Trafalgar is a very good tour company. Some of the hotels they stay in are fantastic. One hotel we stayed at in the Italian Lakes was $300 a night! I certainly wouldn't be staying there unless I was on a tour. Trafalgar Tours are heavily marketed in the Commonwealth countries so expect to travel with a lot of Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc. The thing I liked about Trafalgar is they don't herd you around like sheep all the time. You go as a group to certain sites then you are on your own to explore what you want. Tours are a great way of seeing places for the first time then you can decide which places you want to go back to when you have more time. Just be prepared for long days and some long drives on a couple of days. Have fun.

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 01:59 PM
Joe

My wife and I took our teenage daughters on a Trafalgar tour (Eng, Belg., Germ, Switz., Italy and Fr. and had a wondrful time. The tour guide was fantastic, the hotels first rate. The experience traveling with people from New Zealand, Aust. and Canada added to the trip. Tours are hectic, so you have to go with the proper attitude and realize that there will be people who will having good to say about the trip. If you go with the idea of meeting people & seeing interesting places, the rest will seem insignificant. Enjoy!

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 02:01 PM
Joe

My wife and I took our teenage daughters on a Trafalgar tour (Eng, Belg., Germ, Switz., Italy and Fr.) and had a wondrful time. The tour guide was fantastic, the hotels first rate. The experience traveling with people from New Zealand, Aust. and Canada added to the trip. Tours are hectic, so you have to go with the proper attitude and realize that there will be people who will have nothing good to say about the trip, or any trip for that matter. If you go with the idea of meeting people & seeing interesting places, the rest will seem insignificant. Enjoy!

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 05:41 PM
Jan

My husband and I took a Trafalgar tour last summer-ten countries, just under a month. We loved the tour guide and appreciated how she tried to please so many of us. Traveling with the Aussies was fun. We are considering another, shorter tour of Switzerland next year and then extending our stay by renting a car. We loved the hotels, and the location of most were centrally located in the city so one could go walking at night when the Europeans like to be out. Take a minimum of "optional tours" so you have more time to explore on your own. Take along tour guidebooks from Rick Steves so you know where to explore when you have free time. Go for it!

Old Aug 4th, 1997, 04:48 PM
brenda berman

Please, please will one of you with experience with Trafalgar Tours send me their address or 800 number. Many thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 1997, 02:57 PM
Denise

The tours with Trafalgar sound a lot better than Cosmos. I went on a Cosmos tour the summer of 1994 and I did NOT like it! We only stopped at the shops where they made commission and all the fun stuff cost extra. The hotels and food were good, but there were very few choices when it came to sight seeing.

Old Aug 17th, 1997, 02:22 PM
will

I am also looking into travelling to Italy next year, and have looked through the Globus and Insight brochures. They all look good - I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with Globus or Insight ?? - - And how they compare with Trafalgar.