Reload this Page >

Provence without a car?

Search

Provence without a car?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Nutella

Provence without a car?

Is it possible to enjoy approx 5 days in Provence relying on trains/buses? Although I know certain places will be inaccessible to me, are there enough good destinations I can visit? Interested in picturesque towns, food, wine, hiking, taking in the local flavor. Thanks!<BR>(Unfortunately a car is not an option for me. My choices are to go without car or go somewhere else instead!)

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Arlene

Although many people will disagree, I say "go". You'll have a wonderful trip. We stayed in Aix at the Paul Cezanne. We had a car but didn't enjoy driving, so took the bus to Cassis (a must see!). Next time, we'll stay in Avignon because there are more options for bus excursions.(I don't mean organized tours...I mean our own excursions!!!)You'll just "pick and choose" places that are convenient to get to by bus. You can't "see and do" everything in 5 days anyway.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:36 AM
John Burkus

If you decide to go by bus consider using Avignon as your base. The bus depot is just beside the train station on your right as you exit. It is in the basement of building across the street. No or few signs as I recall. You can probably get schedules there to visit many of the villages in the area. Lots of fun if you are young, patient and have a sense of adventure.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Arlene

John...just to let you know..we are not young. BUT we are patient and do have a sense of adventure! We find it more fun and relaxing to leave the driving to the bus driver. My husband can video out the window if something looks great. You can meet people and get tips from other travellers. It's lots of fun. Most of our friends rent cars when they are in Europe. They think we are nuts for taking buses. But we have a great time. Because of "pressure" from friends and you wonderful drivers who post here (my hat's off to you...I found it stressful) we finally gave in and rented a car for 1/2 our trip last month. They upgraded us to a little Mercedes...I should have LOVED the car...but my best day was the one I left it in the garage and took the bus to Cassis. The bus was 29 Euros for two, and I felt guilty at first...but that wore off!!!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:21 AM
mimi taylor

nutella, spread yourself with some bread...and go! I went for two weeks and it was one of the best trips of my life. From Avignon, I took day trips by boat, car, train. The excursion autobus will take you to the camargue one day, les baux another and so on. One day it didn't show up but as it is outside the train station, I hopped on the next train which was Orange that day.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Arlene

Mimi, where did you go by boat? That sounds like fun. I think all non-drivers should unite! We need support and ideas.<BR><BR>P.S. Nutella IS delicious. When I buy it (supposedly for the kids) I sneak a spoonful now and then...yes eat it off the spoon..so dangerous for my waistline..lol

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Nutella

LOL I am also a purist when it comes to Nutella, straight out of the jar : )<BR>I'm psyched about Provence now that Im convinced it's "doable" Thanks!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:59 AM
John Burkus

Arlene: Thought I would send you and others an invitation to join my recently formed Provence Group at Yahoo. <BR><BR>If you are interested, send an e-mail to:<BR><BR>[email protected] and just put subscribe in the subject line.<BR><BR>Lots of neat tips, pictures,web references and experiences are being shared.<BR><BR>John B.<BR>Oakville, ON<BR>Canada

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Susan

Nutella -<BR> We spent a week in Avignon, relying on public transportation & local tours. Easiest European trip we've ever taken! (Got to Avignon by TGV from Paris, a quick comfortable trip - 2nd class was fine - returned on TGV to CDG airport where we stayed overnight at an Ibis hotel, next morning flew back to SFO.)<BR> Twice we went to Arles by train & once by bus to St. Remy & Glanum (Roman ruins).<BR> Through the tourist office we learned about a tour outfit with an office right by the train station. We took their day tour to the Camargue, which was fascinating. They also had tours to Orange, N&icirc;mes (I believe), & other points of interest. Check their schedule.<BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Judi

Thanks, everyone, for your positive replies on this thread. I want to go to Provence, my husband doesn't, so I will go alone. This means I will be relying on public transportation and excursions.I have been told I will need a car so I am glad to hear I have other options. <BR>And thanks, Nutella for posting this question.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Mary Anne Cook

My Daughter and I just returned from Avignon after renting a car 3 days. Do not do that!! My daughter had a terrible time getting in and out of Avignon. You are very wise to take a bus or train to the places you can go. There are a few you may not be able to get to without a car,but there are so many places you can find public transportation to take you. Probably if you got the car at the TGV station and stayed in a smaller place such as St. Remy and avoided Avignon it might be okay with the car. Don't think I will ever get her to drive in a foreign country again ,and I know I will not.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:47 AM
rhone

Agree with Avignon. Extremely convenient. Walk to the station and hop on a train or bus. Or walk to the Rhone and hop on a boat.<BR>For Arlene:<BR>Here are two companies that do boat cruises:<BR>http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/mireio/gb/index.html<BR>http://www.pnich.com/odyss.htm<BR>The first site has a calendar with destinations for each month.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:51 AM
mimi taylor

a P.S.<BR>The bateau bus has dinner/dance cruises.<BR>there are one and a quarter hour excursions 6 times a day during July and august. The voyages outside the train staion are called Lieutaud. These "luxury buse" have 7 different tours, but these are not guided tours,<BR>for instance, going to Les Baux, they drop you off and I went and had lunch and walked around. I forgot the time to return to the bus, so the driver kindly sent a young guy looking for me (thank goodness)

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM
bus

Here's the website of Lieutaud bus tours.<BR>It's a bit old but I bet most of the tours haven't changed much. I see their buses cruising by all the time.<BR>And why not train, bus, boat AND plane?<BR>http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/provence-vue-avion/gb/index.html<BR>Nutella, you can then tell your friends that even without a car, you have seen ten times more than them.. <BR><BR>Sorry Mary Anne you had such bad experience with your car. Avignon is a pain to get in & out by car, even for the locals. With a car, a better place to stay is anywhere around St Remy, and visit Avignon (20 min) on a daytrip.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Judi

Mimi, I just looked at Lieutaud's web site; they have a trip for every day of the week (maybe not Sunday) and I want to go on every one! Thanks for the tip.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Arlene

First I want to thank you all for the great info. Mary-Anne, driving in and out of Aix was also very difficult. One time we were given directions at the hotel front desk, took the wrong street and ended up FAR away. Luckily, we speak French and managed to find someone to direct us back. We started all over again, (like a kid repeating a grade!!!) and this time we got it right. Whenever there was a chance to take the wrong turn...we did it!!<BR>Rhone, thanks for the boat info. We did a one hour boat ride in Avignon, but if we can go to another town by boat, that would be a novelty. Judy, I looked up Lieutaud tours, but all I could find were the plane tours. Could someone please give me the URL? Thanks. Mimi..the young guy who directed you to the bus....hope he was cute!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Judi

Arlene, I found it at:<BR><BR> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cars.lieutaud/<BR><BR>Sorry, I should have posted the web site in my last message. I found it on a Google search .

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Nutella

Wow thanks everyone for all the great responses! Looks like a plan - 5 or 6 nights in Avignon with day trips all around, maybe 2 nights on the coast, then off to Italy for a week or so. Now the fun begins... obsessing over plane fare, hotels, etc, LOL ... will definitely be counting on you guys for more advice soon : )<BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Arlene

Thanks,Judy, I saved the site. I,too, checked out Google, but couldn't find it!!! Mimi, thanks for the idea. A non-tour-tour sounds good to me. I really don't like "tours". Nutella, your plans sound great..you'll have a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:29 PM
topper

This is a great thread for us newbies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -