Reload this Page >

Provence travel plans..Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Reg Wilson

<BR>Two couples will be spending a few days in Paris and then going to Provence for 7 days, returning out of the Milan airport. Which would be the best approach? <BR> <BR>Should we: 1.Rent a car in Paris with a dropoff at Milan? 2. Take a train from Paris to the Provence area..rent a car and return it to the same site..then catch a train to Milan? Or some other alternative? <BR> <BR>We would appreciate your input and any “don’t miss this” suggestions for Provence. Thanks in advance. <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 06:47 PM
greg

Unless you wsih to sightsee on the way down the route that you would take by car to Provence is the autoroute du soleil. It is about 700kms so even at the speed limit of 130kmph it will take several hours of driving with only passing views of the countryside. In my view you are far better to take the train (TGV) from gare de Lyon (if leaving from central Paris - it can be taken from aeroport CDG as well) to Avignon. This about 31/2 hours only - the train travels at about 300kmph - and you can pick up a rental car at Avignon and start your exploration from there. I have never been to Italy so acn't help with the other part of your question - email for more details about Provence - I know the Vaucluse and Bouches de Rhone quite well. <BR>Greg

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 07:05 AM
Adrienne

<BR>Reg, <BR> <BR>I drove from Paris to Aix a couple of years ago. It was a LONG drive in a SMALL car and would not recommend it as the above poster stated (unless you're going to sight see along the way). Just getting away from Paris took a long time. I smelled diesel fuel for two days after that experience. <BR> <BR>Do as suggested and fly (or take a train) to one of the larger cities in Provence and rent a car from there. If you plan on picking up a car in Avignon or Arles be prepared to get a standard transmission. Even if you request an automatic there may not be one available. If this is a problem then you better off flying to Marseilles where the car choices are better. <BR> <BR>Some "don't miss" suggestions for Provence: <BR> <BR>Aix-en-Provence <BR>Avignon <BR>Arles <BR>St-Remy <BR>Les Baux-de-Provence <BR>the beaches at Cassis <BR>Lourmarin <BR>Montmajour Abbey near Gordes <BR>Luberon villages <BR>Vaison les Romains <BR>Seguret <BR>Markets in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, Apt, St-Remy <BR> <BR>Re driving to Milan...it's probably about a 5 hour trip on the Autoroute from Avignon. If you want to see the scenery then you'll travel on the smaller roads (N7) across France and it will take longer as the N7 is a two-lane road. I'd look into flying from Avignon or Marseilles to Milan. This way you can maximize your sightseeing time. If you would like any further info you can email me directly. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 01:11 PM
Reg

Thanks for some really concrete suggestions. The train/car combination sounds good. <BR> <BR>I'll let you all know how things went. <BR> <BR>Have a great day!

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:04 PM
gregoire

I confirm the different names posted. Be sure your friends will see some of the small towns mentionned -first three are "big" (in the french sens) towns, must see, but a small village as nothing comparable. <BR>Before you buy th eticket, look at the connection for TGV in charles de gaules (CDG) airport : some days have only few trains. And DON'T buy a ticket through an other airport, it would be a waste. check it at <BR>http://voyages.sncf.fr/voyages_gb/acgb_accueil.html <BR>Hard to find automatic cars -and frenchs/italians drive MUCH faster.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 09:18 AM
Reg

Gregoire, <BR>Thanks for the suggestions. We were in Germany last year and drove a stick-shift. Speeds on the autobahn were something different. (I only went to 100 mph and was passed by cars so fast I thought I had it in reverse.) <BR>Surely the French don't drive faster do they?

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:26 PM
Donna

Okay, I have all the answers if you have the open checkbook. <BR> <BR>Fly to Paris and spend a couple of nights to get over jet lag. Take the TGV south to Marseilles, where you'll pick up your rental car (get them to show you how to start it--there was a trick when we girls went), mosey along to Cassis for lunch at the water's edge, drive to Le Levandou and stay at the Relais and Chateau there. Take a winding drive up and down through Bormes les Mimosas (perched village), drive onward to Grasse, and stay at Moulin de Mougins and eat with Roger Verge (many star restaurant and expensive, awesome experience), drive to St. Paul de Vence (walled medieval village, Marc Chagall is buried there)with a reservation at Le St. Paul for spending the night. Drive through Monte Carlo if you must, and drive back toward Nice, go on the Moyen Corniche to EZE village and stay at Chateau de la Chevre d'Or (perched). Next day top off your gas tank, drive to Nice, drop off your , get on the train with confirmed seats to Milan, and don't go to sleep until your train turns north away from the beautiful coastline. Stay at the Excelsior Gallia Hotel just a few STEPS from the train station. Check in, park your bags, get a taxi to the Duomo, and sit in the cafes and people watch. Can you go on to Venice the next day? or are you flying home from Milan? <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:37 PM
gregoire

Reg, <BR>We still drive much faster, but I would say we have (much) less accidents. Roads are perfect, and it's a real challenge to take the exam, not a gift from the american government, so it is actually safer to me. Don't drive faster than what you are used to on highways (well, more than 40mph = 70 kmh), but stay on the right lane, that's the law, and the other drivers can pass you easily.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:41 PM
gregoire

oups, I missread your message : we drive a bit slower than germans on highways, the official limit is 130 kmh. But as a matter of fact some people do drive (I do) at 180 kmh (~115mph) and get passed by faster ones. But our limits in town are not as low as in Germany, and german are very obedient : we are french, won the world cup, how could someone think of putting a limit to our speed ? Kidding, but still, in town, we drive rather fast.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:53 AM
Molly Donnelly

Hi Reg: Have you seen the May '99 issue of Bon Appetit? It's dedicated to Provence! Check it out. At the very least, it will give you some great restaurants to try out. The bonus, getting a picturesque overview of Provence along with Bon Appetit's own unique, culinary perspective of this particular region. It's a fabulous issue! Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 08:58 AM
Steve Collins

My wife and I have taken the TGV from Lyon to Paris and highly recommend it. Reservation, though, are a MUST (at least a day in advance). Expressway driving at high speeds in France is almost as boring as it is in the US. <BR> <BR>Anyone have any suggestions for "light" day HIKING in Provence (trails, parks, mountians)? Also any ideas on towns or villages to see (by car) that have at least a couple of modest hotels to choose from. Thanks in advance. -- STEVE