Reload this Page >

Provence : So many places too little time

Notices

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much contemplating on my trip to Provence , I need help in my final planning stages . We will be in Avignon for three nights and plan on doing to St Remy market and Les Baux from Avignon. We will need to travel to Le Couvant de Minemes which is just outside of Forcalquier. We need to be in Forcalquier by 2 pm. I originally was thinking of stopping at L'isle-sur-la-sorgue, Gordes or Ruisillon. I'm realizing after listening to replies that maybe this is too much in one day. I would like to visit a nice town on our way without feeling the pressure of driving and being in a rush . We will be driving from Forcalquier to Aix de Provence and spend three nights there. We will visit Cassis as well from there. I was hoping someone could recommend which of the three above mentioned towns is a must see while traveling from Avignon to Forcalquier . It would be so helpful. Thank you.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 01:14 PM

IMO, Gordes is the most dramatic driving up to it.
L"Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, nice shopping and restaurants in the pedestrian walks away from the river.
Rousillon, another cute town for walking around.

I'd choose Gordes for memorable town with stunning views.
I'd choose L'Isle SLS if you're really into shopping. We bought some lovely table linens and children's clothing there. Also full of antiques but that's not my thing. Just remember to get away from the river to the pedestrian streets. We didn't find that area until our 2nd visit.

If you choose Gordes and happen to find a small cross body, beige purse, wirh a comb, lipstick, and tictacs candy in it, it's mine. My bag was stolen there. Haha on the thief. I'll bet he was disappointed when he/she opened it. My credit card & money were in my pocket. Didn't dampen my spirit though. I loved the town.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 01:17 PM

Maybe you can visit L'Isle SLS from Avignon.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Lol. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thank you for your advice . Not sure I have enough time to see Isle from Avignon as we arrive on one afternoon after arriving in Paris early in the morning. Next day will spend the full day in Avignon, then last day visiting St. Remy and Les Baux.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 03:42 PM

If you are staying in Avignon for 2 nights, I don't think it will take a full day to "visit" Avignon. You'll see the architecture, main square (Pl de Horloge), and the "buzz" just walking to/from dinner - or just after you return from a day trip elsewhere.

I also don't think St Remy & Les Baux will consume a full day. St Remy is small and so is Les Baux. You might even be able to visit Avignon starting at 9am in the morning, have early lunch on the Pl de Horloge (or St Remy), then visit St Remy in the afternoon, and Les Baux starting around 4:30PM.

Next day go explore some of the Luberon or visit the Pont du Gard & Uzes.

On the day you go to Forcalquer, get an early start & drive to Gordes so that you get there before the hoards arrive - say around 9:00. Have a cafe creme & croissants there, walk around (to the lavoire (wash basin) below town & back), then head out for Forcalquer. If you have an older map, note that the N100 that ran through the Luberon, is now the D900 which changes to another D road when you get near Cereste.
So this day might be:
- Leave Avignon at 8:15 & arrive in Gordes (in the parking lot below) at 9:00 - after taking the "required" pictures from the viewpoint just before you get to the parking lot.
- Have breakfast & explore Gordes from 9:00 to 11:30. Pick up sandwiches or cheese for the road.
- Drive 1 1/4 hrs to Forcalquier & arrive by 1:00. If you have time available, visit Lurs (Gordes without the tourists) or Forcalquier (the shops I mentioned in your earlier post will be closed).

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 05:26 PM

Last month we stayed just outside of Gordes so visited several times. We even were halted in the middle of the road one evening descending by one of the infamous black pigs. It's a great village for shopping and dining. Personally I found Rousillon my favorite place and St Remy at the bottom of the list -- too touristy. Also we loved Lacoste for a trip up and into the village and famous sculpture. The Marquis de Sade lived in the castle overlooking the village!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 07:56 AM

>> and St Remy at the bottom of the list
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Never at 4pm Stu. The B&B host had a lovely glass of wine and appetizers ready about that time! Oh how I loved Provence and the people!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Love all the great suggestions . Thank you thank you thank you
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 08:48 AM

I think Gordes is the most interesting. If you can manage, go to market day at L"Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. Incredible!

One of the most fun things we did was kayaking to the Pont du Gard. We took a picnic lunch with us and stopped close to the end. It was just a magical morning and there's nothing like wondering how much further it is, then rounding a curve and seeing it. Afterwards, we drove to Uzes which is a very beautiful place and had snacks and wine. One of my favorite days in Provence.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 09:29 AM

I don't care for St Remy either and I've been there for many hours on various days. I don't really understand what you are supposed to love about it, to be honest. I think rich people like it a lot or people who like to shop.

I think either Gordes or Roussillon, maybe a toss up. I wouldn't go to Isle sur la Sorgue unless you had a shopping goal.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM

We went to the Isle sur la Sorgue weekday market and were very disappointed. Our host said the weekend one is better

We did like the small Thurs (as I recall) market in Menerbes. Picked up some very nice and reasonable water colors.