Provence: Should we? Do we need a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In early November, my husband and are are going to Paris for a meeting. We were planning to go 5 days before and see the City, but now I'm wondering if we should go to Provence for a few days instead. (We love Paris and were there 4 years ago). If we take the train from Paris to Avignon, I'm assuming we'll need a car to get to St. Remy (or wherever). Is this a do-able trip? We've never been to the south of France, and I'm wondering what it's like in November. Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:13 PM

SweetCaroline: You must be a Red Sox fan!

From a practical perspective, I would say that the trip south to Avignon by TGV is pretty manageable and would not take up a whole day of travel. You would very likely want to rent a car to buzz about St. Remy and environs.

You would perhaps just need to decide how much of an urban experience you want vs. being in the country. Personally, I would prefer to be in Paris in the fall when it's less hot and crowded than in the summer. At the same time, I find Paris a bit nippy in December, so early November might be a pretty nice time to visit Paris and all the museums etc.

I don't know what the temperature would be in Provence at that time, so you'll need to hear from someone else on that question.
Bon chance!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I'de just stay in Paris the entire time - plenty enough things to do to keep you busy. My most enjoyable trips to Paris have been in the off season.

Note that Provence is actually north of Milwaukee, Wis. The Med. is warmer than the Great Lakes, but same hours of daylight, etc.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:07 AM

Fortunately (for us) not exactly the same weather as north of Wisconsin !!

Figure on average day time highs in the mid-50s and a low at night around 40 degrees. Some rain (it's about the rainiest month of the year here) but it is all relative as we still tend to have lots of days of bright sunshine.

I'd tend to agree with the previous posters, however, if it is just for a few days in November, then stick with Paris (maybe a local day trip if you want to see a bit of countryside) and save Provence for another time...

-Kevin
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I should add that Kevin and his wife run a lovely B&B in the Luberon - surrounded by vineyards just outside of St Saturnin les Apt.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You do need a small car to visit some of the charming villages.
I think Kevin's wife also gives French lessons?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, letour, I'm not a Red Sox fan; I don't even own a pair.
All of you have given me much to think about. We have decided, however, to head to Provence for a long weekend. My hub and I love Paris but we are actually rural folks at heart, so we'd really love to see the French countryside, rain or shine. I wish I had learned about Kevin's B&B before I booked, (and my French could definitely use a tune-up) but this just means that we will have to go back! For all of your input, merci beaucoup.
~Caroline Douce
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:54 AM

SweetCaroline:

Then maybe are you a Neil Diamond fan?

Good decision! I treasure my time in Provence and I actually have had thoughts of going there in the off-season. A friend in Les Alpilles tells me that she can sit outside on a sunny day in her garden in the winter--probably albeit with a coat on. I'd love to hear your report on how you find the weather when you go. I think that the region is so charming that any season would be nice to be there. I am a country person myself, so I would likely have made the same decison.

Bon chance!