Provence Region

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:48 AM
linda

Provence Region

We would like to tour the Southern part of France, especially Provence. Any suggestions for an itinerary starting in Nice. Any information on car rentals, great places to visit,stay and eat. Trip would be 10-12 days. Looking for advice on length of stay on the itinerary. We are interested in fields of lavender, sunflowers,historical sites and quaint little villages where you can go to markets and antique shops.Thanks,Linda

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Gayle

Go back to search under Provence and also do a second search under Nice. You'll find hundreds of ideas and itineraries.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Beautifulin

Linda:
Google 'beyond the french riviera'
and you'll find loads of great info
on Provence.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Anthony

Linda, We are Americans in our 60's who vacation in Provence each year.

Everyone is different. We like cultural things, scenery and little villages. We have immersed ourselves in Provence and its wonderful people and culture.

What follows is an outline itinerary that covers a number of our trips-we have not done all listed here each year. Here goes:

At Nice we rent from Hertz as they guarantee an automatic car which is important to us.

We head for St. Remy de Provence about two hours away by A-8, A-7, major autoroutes. We stay in L'Amandiere a small hotel in St. Remy. Rooms are tiny but grounds, pool and proprietor and his wife are most charming. If budget is not a problem you might look in to Chateau des Alpilles or the Domaine de Bournissac in or near St.Remy.

The lavender blooms in late June early July. St. Remy is a marvelous headquarters to visit the Abbey Senanque and lavender fields for about 75 kms around.

Between Nice and St. Remy are St. Paul de Vence-the Meaght Foundation-dedicated to modern art; Vence -the Matisse Chapel--both are about 30kms or so from Nice. Further along is beautiful Aix-en-Provence, about 150 kms from Nice on the way to St. Remy.

I love this part of the world. E-mail me for additional information.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Linda

I want to thank you all who have responded to my request for information on the Provence region. I appreciate it.
Linda..my husband who is tagging along will appreciate it also. You know we women do all of the homework. Our husbands mark the papers.
Linda

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:48 AM
PB

Linda,

If I can answer any specific questions, feel free to email me. I live near Les Baux and St. Remy.

For antiquing, visit l'Isle sur la Sorgue on Sundays. There is a large market at well as an antiques market (brocante). The town is filled with antique shops as well, that are only open on Saturday, SUnday and Monday.

On Saturday mornings, one of the best antique markets in the area is at the foot of Villeneuve lez Avignon...

PB