Provence- Query re taxi availability between villages

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2024, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to explore Provence this June, while staying in a small village as a base for ten days or so eg St-Remy, Aix… but am unable to drive myself/or rent a car - is it feasible to use taxis to go between villages, or are taxi services too few in the villages to be able to rely on them for transport to and from surrounding villages in the area?
Many thanks.

Old May 14th, 2024, 04:34 AM

Aix is not remotely a village, it's a city of about 150,000. Do not base in st remy as is doesn't have a train station. If you want to visit places like aix, you can do that by train. There are some bus services also, I took bus between avignon and st remy. You can visit Pont du gard by bus easy enough. There are small group van tours to some small iconic villages from cities like aix or avignon. I would not count on taxis at all between places if they are very far apart.
Old May 14th, 2024, 01:21 PM

Have a good look at the regional bus and train map, not forgetting to visit the timetables also. Some of the marked routes have relatively frequent service (6-8 buses a day) while others just service school commuters.

https://zou.maregionsud.fr/en/zou-network-maps/

You might consider two or three bases rather than trying to do a hub and spoke trip from one spot. It depends what you want to see and do, as Provence is a vast region with many different attractions.

Places the size of Saint Remy and L’Isle sur la Sorgue do have taxis, best booked in advance, usually by phone. How’s your French?
Old May 14th, 2024, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
Aix is not remotely a village, it's a city of about 150,000. Do not base in st remy as is doesn't have a train station. If you want to visit places like aix, you can do that by train. There are some bus services also, I took bus between avignon and st remy. You can visit Pont du gard by bus easy enough. There are small group van tours to some small iconic villages from cities like aix or avignon. I would not count on taxis at all between places if they are very far apart.
Thanks for this, it’s very helpful.
Old May 14th, 2024, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks FTOttawa for this information- and the link,, it’s much appreciated.