Provence or where in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 Aussie couples who are planning a trip to France either October 08 or April/May 09. We all went to Europe in the 80's and would love to rent a gite in the French countryside maybe Provence or are open for suggestions for any region in France. We wanted to use our accommodation for a base to experience the smaller village type atmosphere. Maybe even add another week in a Paris apartment for 1 or 2 of the couples or 1 week across to Northern Italy.
For Australians it is more expensive to travel to Europe so we wanted to plan it right.
We are open to any suggestions. Fodors is such a wonderful informative site and such interesting people and experiences. I appreciate any ideas.
Thankyou
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Hello fellow aussie! I am sure you will receive lots of excellent advice from Provence experts, Fodor's has been invaluable in helping me plan our trips.
I can comment however, on one residence in Provence where we stayed in June 2005. It does have three bedrooms (two with singles, so that may not suit?) and is in a little town called Merindol in the Luberon region, here is the link:
http://www.les.robertson.net/default.htm
It does definitely provide the small village feel you are after which is what also appealed to us.
If you would like more details and photos and can provide your email address I will send more.
Happy planning!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Great places in Provence to rent are available from John Reece, who is actually close to you (in New Zealand). He's at www.france.co.nz. He has a few places in Venasque, which is a great hilltop town in Provence, near Carpentras and Avignon. It is an ideal place to base oneself in Provence for daytrips to the wineries, small towns, and even the coast (Cassis was our favorite destination). The rental property was great, and although we're in the states, it was easy to make arrangements through John. You can take the fast train to Paris from Avignon, and you're not far from Northern Italy. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

ozgirl thankyou for your reply

I checked out your accommodation it looks like a good place. My email is [email protected].

What time of year did you go?

What are peoples suggestions as to the time of year that is best we would rather advoid the peak European summer. I am leaning towards spring, maybe that would be a prettier time? and not too busy. Would it be too cold then?

We thought we would hire a car and do day trips from there.

Have been doing some reading up on Burgandy would that be a better base location?

I like to do a lot of reading up and planning about our travels and as we are a group of 6 having only ever camped together for weekends we want to be well resesrched.

Thankyou
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Midnightsun thankyou also for your reply.

That NZ site looks good too and gives me some good food for thought.

Is it best to fly into Paris and then catch a train south or would it be best for us to hire a car from Paris?
And spend maybe a night stopover whilst driving south.

Are there markets everyday in the local villages or just weekly.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Aussie: You can certainly pick up a car in Paris and drive south, but there are many distractions, many places you may wish to stop in the Rhone Valley en route to Provence. The TGV fast train to Avignon takes just a few hours, and you could easily rent a car there. How you travel depends on how much you want to see between Paris and Provence. You will find a market just about any day of the week in one town or another in Provence. One of the biggest is the Sunday market in Isle Sur La Sorgue, which is pretty in itself because of the river and the waterwheels. We leafed through Markets of Provence by Ruthann Long before we went to Provence. This website lists some of the bigger markets and their specialties, although, for instance, there's much more to Isle Sur La Sorgue than antiques. http://www.travelswithfriends.com/Si...ce_Markets.htm
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Midnightsun thankyou

I have booked marked the site for markets in Provence.

After reading up some more the train looks like a good option from Paris to Provence. Does it make more than 1 trip south a day.

I was talking to our friends today that we will be travelling with and we were wondering whether we should stay in Provence for 1 week or 2 or perhaps another region are there any other suggestions.

I would appreciate any imput from people who have travelled there.

We are still trying to decide whether Spring or Autumn is best.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:45 AM

hello aussie, just checking that you received my email?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM

aussie_10, a few thoughts for you:

- While eveyone has there own travelling style, I like the idea of renting a house for a week or two and making day-trips to places of interest. My wife and I have done this a number of times in Provence, Languedoc, and the Auvergne. Our approach is to assume that we can see anything within a two-hour drive of our base.

- You would probably find the weather in October similar to April or May. We've travelled at both seasons and enjoyed then equally. (Although weather is hard to predict, think short sleeves in the day and a light sweater in the evening.) I have a feeling that your timing may be influenced by the availability of suitable rental accommodation; some places in the south of France will already be booked for this October.

- We have found almost all of our rentals through these three sites:

www.frenchconnections.co.uk
www.vrbo.com
www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Many of the properties listed on theses sites are vacation homes whose owners offer them when they aren't using them themselves. You can search by area and size of accommodation, and once you find a place that interests you, you deal directly with the owner.

Others here have recommended this site; we haven't used it ourselves, but have it bookmarked:

www.gite.com/gite.com/index.cgi

We have also rented a house from Henrietta Taylor (an Australian, by the way) in the tiny hill-top town of Saignon in the Luberon. Her Place de la Fontaine "cottage" (which is really a large house) would be excellent for three couples. She is great to deal with and very reliable:

www.henriettataylor.com/accommodation.cfm

Anselm
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

ozgirl
Yes I did receive your email sorry for the delay in replying. I hope you received my reply

Thank you
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Anselm
Thank you for your post.

I have checked out the site you sent and have bookmarked the others. Realistically I think it will be more like April/May 2009 as to organise 3 couples flights, ideas and accommodation it will be a better time frame.

I am getting excited just trying to sort out ideas, places etc as we want to make the most of our visitand time.

We think we will have about 3 weeks all up and am not sure where else we will spend our time. Italy is tempting as well.

However lots of people seem to visit France freqently so there must be a real love affair with the country.

I get goosebumps!!