Reload this Page >

Provence - Lavender

Search

Provence - Lavender

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:22 PM
dmc019

Provence - Lavender

We are planning our honeymoon in Provence. We have been researching the different regions to decide where exactly we want to go. We will be there from Sept. 8, 2003 - Sept. 15. Will the lavender already be harvested? Many of the travel books say it is harvested late August/early September. I'm just wandering from personal experiences will we be able to see the lavender fields in bloom early Sept.?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:00 PM
mimi taylor

The harvesting starts usually around the 15 of July so the beautiful fields of it will be gone. What will be left unharvested will have lost its beautiful color.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Cindy

Sunflowers?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:38 AM
John B.

Sunflowers will have passed their peak as well. They will be mostly a dull yellow/brown.<BR><BR>For more info about Provence check out postings, archives, links and photos at:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Steve

What about in the middle of May?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Christina

I think the middle of May is too early although some lavender may be blooming by then (wild lavender perhaps more). I've only been in July when lavender was great and sunflowers were blooming but I thought perhaps they peak a little later than lavender, from what it looked like. For both, mid-June to mid-August is probably the best period to count on seeing them looking good at all.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Sue

I've seen lovely fields of poppies in Provence in May, but not lavender.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 12:27 PM
mimi taylor

You really must go in july through august to see the lavender on the lavender routesbefore and after, the color isn't there, plus you can go to so many festivals celebrating the harvest. It's true Provence is crowded those months, but not in the true haute Provence area, where the real lavender is grown. The lower levels is the Lavendin. Now I love Mimosa, and I hope someone can tell me when it's the best time to see them in bloom. And where I should stay near the best viewing area.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 03:05 PM
John B.

Mimi:<BR>How about Bormes les Mimosas at:<BR><BR>http://www.bormeslesmimosas.com/ukvillage/cotesud.htm<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>http://www.bormeslesmimosas.com/ukindex.htm

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 04:04 PM
mimi taylor

Thanks John, but those sites don't help about the flora. as mimosa is available here from now to april(but some are from Greece) I suspect the season maybe now. Hopefully someone who knows will inform us.