Provence Itinerary, need comments!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all, I plan to go to provence on 20/6 alone for two weeks. Since I can't drive, it's quite difficult to plan the trip. The following is my itinerary, really need you experts'comments.

First day, flight from Hong Kong to Paris and change TGV to Aix immediately. The second day still in Aix which is Friday. I plan to join the local day tour to Gordes,Rossillon,etc. The next day take the bus to Arles and spend two days there. I will stay in hotel la Calendal. On Monday, go from Arles to St. Remy and spend two days there, stay in a B&B called La Mas de Tourterelles. Wendseday, I plant to rent a bicycle in St. Remy and ride to Les Baux and spend one ngiht in Le Prince Noir B&B.I will go back and stay in Arles on Thursday.
Friday, I will go back to Aix and spend three days there coz I would like to join a day tour to Lavender road and Verdon Geroge on Sunday. Leave Aix on Monday back to Paris.

I still have some problem need to solve. 1. any hotel suggesion on Aix and Paris (on St. Germain) under 100 euros? 2. what can I do in Arles on Sunday? do all shops closed? 3. is it possible for me to ride a bicycle to Les Baux from st. remy? 4. any one-day cooking class in Arles or Aix?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Irene -

Sounds like a pretty good plan.

As to your questions:
1) Hotel Aix - Le Manoir, should be in your budget and right in the center of the Old Town.
Hotel Paris - La Sorbonne, they have decent internet deals from time to time and location is just near St. Germain.
2)Lots of shops will be closed in Arles on Sunday - but you can still visit all the Roman sights, museums, les Alyscamps etc. You won't be bored.
3)Biking from St. remy to Les baux is certianly possible and lots of people do it. It's a pretty narrow windy road, so take care.
4)Cooking class in Aix - try Reine Sammut at Le Passage. Not sure if she does her classes there (in Aix) or at Le Feniere in Lourmarin. Both worth asking...

-Kevin
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Kelvin, really thank you very much for your suggestions. It's really helpful. But I would like to ask, as you mentioned the bicycle riding road from St.remy to Les Baux is narrow, so does it means that it's quite dangerous? Coz I'm actually not an experienced bicycle rider.

Besides, I'm now thinking of whether to cut one night in st.remy and add one more night in Les Baux. It's it worth to spend more time in les Baux? Where can I go from Les Baux if I can't drive?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Les Baux is beautiful and interesting, but I think one night there would be ample time.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I, too, will be traveling alone and with no car on some of your very same itinerary- including the Hotel Calendal, later in the summer. I found Hotel du Globe ([email protected] www.hotelduglobe.com ) in Aix for 80euro for a single with private bath. Reviews on TripAdvisor were good and the location looks convenient for the train. Since it sounds like you like outdoors things to do (with the fun bike plan!) you might go to the Carmargue from Arles on Sunday. (I am so excited for that!) Although bus service looks more limited than during the week, there are tours you could use to get there. So maybe you can ride a horse AND a bike! Bon voyage!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I think the bike ride is possible if you are aware of your surroundings. I also think one night is enough in Les Baux...there's more to see in St Remy.